Avon Storm II Ultra Radial

mikeodial

Just replaced the Bridgestone that was on the bike with Avon Storm II on the front. (Already had a Storm AV55 on the rear). Have about 250 miles on the tire now and impressions are:

• Immediate improvement on turn in. Almost falls into corners versus the Bridgestone. (Not in a wobbly sort of way, just turns in very easily)
  • Front end feels much more planted
  • Deliberately tried over tar snakes, mid corner bumps and grates etc. Much less transition than the Bridgestone which was very skitty on anything wet
  • Slow speed turn in also very nice and planted
  • Tire seems to warm up fast
  • Very stable in the twisties, no drifting, great grip under power on exits
  • Haven't tried it yet in a downpour, but am confident it will be at least as good as the Bridgestone in moving water out of the way

Can't make any comment on wear as too early yet, but this looks like a tire that was made for my 2005 6th Generation

Just replaced the Bridgestone that was on the bike with Avon Storm II on the front. (Already had a Storm AV55 on the rear). Have about 250 miles on the tire now and impressions are:

• Immediate improvement on turn in. Almost falls into corners versus the Bridgestone. (Not in a wobbly sort of way, just turns in very easily)
  • Deliberately tried over tar snakes, mid corner bumps and grates etc. Much less transition than the Bridgestone which was very skitty on anything wet
  • Haven't tried it yet in a downpour, but am confident it will be at least as good as the Bridgestone in moving water out of the way

Can't make any comment on wear as too early yet, but this looks like a tire that was made for my 2005 6th Generation

Your review reminds me of mine when I first got the original Storm ST tyres and got rid of the awful hard and non-confindence inspiring Bridgstone tyres. The Bridgestones tyres were so bad for me anything would have been an improvement. I initially really liked the Avon Storm ST tyres (mainly because I hated the Bridgestones so bad), until the winter here in NYC and I could tell the original Avon Storm ST tyres did not warm up very quickly. They are good tyres but do not ride good on groved roads and do not transition to different surfaces as well as some other tyres I have tried. I went from the Avon Storm tyres to the Dunlop RoadSmart tyres. The Dunlops RoadSmart works for me, but that is subjective I guess - I seem to perfer a flatter tyre profile versus the V type profile of the Avon. I do like the fact that the Avon Storm ST tyres have a punture warranty on them, but you can only use that once. I can get Dunlops tyres locally or on the web quicker than I can get the Avon tyres. Enjoy and I hope the Avon Tyres work out for you.

Your review reminds me of mine when I first got the original Storm ST tyres and got rid of the awful hard and non-confindence inspiring Bridgstone tyres. The Bridgestones tyres were so bad for me anything would have been an improvement. I initially really liked the Avon Storm ST tyres (mainly because I hated the Bridgestones so bad), until the winter here in NYC and I could tell the original Avon Storm ST tyres did not warm up very quickly. They are good tyres but do not ride good on groved roads and do not transition to different surfaces as well as some other tyres I have tried. I went from the Avon Storm tyres to the Dunlop RoadSmart tyres. The Dunlops RoadSmart works for me, but that is subjective I guess - I seem to perfer a flatter tyre profile versus the V type profile of the Avon. I do like the fact that the Avon Storm ST tyres have a punture warranty on them, but you can only use that once. I can get Dunlops tyres locally or on the web quicker than I can get the Avon tyres. Enjoy and I hope the Avon Tyres work out for you.

Thanks for you comments. Also of note, is that I have a Storm on the back and the new Storm II Ultra Radial on the front. This version is apparently much improved from the initial Storms. I can't compare, but perhaps someone else can who has used both.

BTW I got mine locally (in MA) installed for $150 (Dealer made me wait, so did the install for free)

• Member Contributer

:fing02:

hi there now have 500 miles on storm 2 very much the same opinion on them as you,the original storms i rode for 12500 ii was pleased to get them changed,so far very satisfied :fing02:

• 2 weeks later...

Took a few more miles this week in New England, on a colder wet day with lots of crap on the country roads. Boy I like how this tire behaves, very nice over the slippery stuff and even seems to crush acorns without feeling like you are riding on marbles.

I am getting used to the turn in, as it is so easy on the profile of the tire, much less steering input seems to be needed, but that might be just my mind.

Bottom line, very confidence inspriing tire. I like it :fing02:

Really like this tire! Too early to compare wear/mileage but so far they look and handle fine. Wet grip seems great but they are new. I was running the PR2's with no complaints and this is my first try with Avon on any bike but so far looks good. My front tire did go flat when I hit a piece of wood and bent the rim. I don't think my PR2's would have done any better at that point. :beer:

Archived