Tomohawk Tires

Guest vfroforient

Guest vfroforient

Have any of you ever used Tomohawk Tires. A crazy old guy from Bremerton turned me onto them and said they are made by airplane tire manufacturer and they work and last great. And..they are CHEAP.

I remember seeing a few posts a few years ago on other forums. Aren't they "retreads"? or was that only certain models they had a few years ago? When the coloured tread pattern ones came out and everyone screamed poser tire lol.

How cheap is cheap? seems there's quite a few choices for at or around $200 a set for you guys in the States.

A friend, Serp to those of you who know him, bought five sets for like 400.00 several years ago.

He rides fairly extreme and puts on many miles...

Out of ten tires he had one which was bad after several hundred miles.

at 200.00 for Tomahawks, maybe you should explore Shinko.

Or seriously, Power 2CT can be had for 200.00 a set.

• Member Contributer

Great dry day tires, scary in the rain !!!

cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

I had these on my Triumph Speed Four a couple of years ago. I think they're ok if you don't push it too hard in the street or encounter any rain. I went down in the rain with barely any lean angle, just like that. Might sound cliche, but you get what you pay for. Like someone else said, it's pretty easy to find a quality set of tire for $200 these days.

• Member Contributer

That would be Orient, WA, would it? Ridden through there many times. Great riding country. Love the ride from Okanogan to Tiger via Republic / Colville - one of the best. As for tires, I'm not familiar with Tomahawk. However, in many, many years of riding I have only followed a few "rules" consistently - 1. NEVER ride when you've been into the sauce 2. Wear a good lid and gear 3. Don't cheap out on tires!. Those contact patches are pretty small, especially when some cager is turning left in front of you. Be safe.

I had a Tomohawk on the rear of a TL1000R. It came on the bike when I bought it and was in good condition so I figured I'd give it a try. I didn't have any problems with it, certainly nothing that made me want to replace it. I never had it in the rain. But like others have said, there are much better options for the same money.

Not only are Tomahawks retreads, they are a very HEAVY tire. We weighed a set of them versus some Pirellis and Avons and they were about 2 pounds heavier for the front and nearly 4 pounds over for the rear. That's a lot of weight that will affect the handling of your MC.

Archived