Discount Handlebar Modification

Guest Goosechef

• Member Contributer
Ok, question, if you're lifting the bar high enough for the lug to be free of the slot, can't you just rotate it without swapping sides??

+1! Or just dremel the tab off and rotate it as you please. I really don't understand the advantage to switching sides. The bars are not offset, so all you're doing is sliding them back a bit farther, seems like a lot of work for something that could be done by loosening the pinch bolts, readjusting the position, then tightening the pinch bolts...

• Member Contributer

The bars on the 6th gens are offset...

The centreline of the bar lies ahead of the centreline of the forks in the as-delivered configuration. Goosechef has reversed them to move the bars back. Then he can adjust the angles.

Glenn

+1! Or just dremel the tab off and rotate it as you please. I really don't understand the advantage to switching sides. The bars are not offset, so all you're doing is sliding them back a bit farther, seems like a lot of work for something that could be done by loosening the pinch bolts, readjusting the position, then tightening the pinch bolts...

Guest Goosechef

If you look at the bar from the opposite side,across the gap at the pinch bolt, and then at the length of the handle, you can see the offset, it's more than you think, and when you reverse it, you are doubling it.

Don't know what else to say. It's there and it can become an advantage.

Guest DoggyDaddy

I was thinking about this on my Gen 5 bike, it appears to me that the clamp part is offset to the bars on that model, too.

My bars have already been slid up and angled back but are just a whisker short of perfect. I am comprimising a little with the position as it is now; the angle back is greater than I'd like, but I prefer the reach that it has now. I also wanted the levers to tilt down a bit further, time to get out the grinder!

When I get a little experimentation time I'll give it a try, thanks for the report!

• Member Contributer

I did something similar but more involved on my RCBVFR with it's RC51 front end. The stock RC clipons actually have a negative rise (extend downwards) when mounted underneath the top triple. This makes the RC so darn comfortable on the street. :fing02: Since I have my RC forks raised on the 4gen for handling reasons, I had enough tube material to mount them above the triple. Switching the clipons left to right AND inverting them, changed the former negative rise into a positive but the bar ends now pointed up too high. No worries, a long cheater pipe solved that! A pic is worth a thousand words so here it is:

vfr008.jpg

Yes, I had to redrill new holes for the locking pins on the switchgear and throttle housing. This pic was taken before drilling so the throttle housing isn't completely cinched down.

• 1 month later...
Guest Wingnut

I did this modification this past weekend and I can say it made a difference for me. I'm 6'2" 235lbs, and I wouldn't say the VFR is uncomfortable, my last bike a GSXR1000 was uncomfortable. I took a couple pictures of the before and after. It looks like I the bars are about 1" closer after the modification. Doesn't sound like much, but it did make a difference. My wrists and hands don't have as much pressure on them when riding a straight road. When I had my gixxer, my hands would go numb if riding straight for more than a few minutes. The holes for the controls are a little tricky to drill properly, so take your time and lay them out with a protractor and caliper.

Here is the before pic:

008.jpg

And the after pic:

010.jpg