Any Pics? Galfer Brake Line Install Help? 5th Gen

Guest AusBill32

Question

Guest AusBill32

Hello,

I've got my 2000 VFR all torn apart and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to connect all these galfer brake lines. I couldn't find an install guide, tutorial, pictures, or anything online.

Anyone have any pictures of the completed galfer brake line install for a 5th gen? I've talked to galfer and they assured me I have the correct kit for my bike but I just can't figure it out.

Here are some pictures, maybe someone can figure it out just from looking at these but I sure can't. I figure out the rear two lines, the clutch line, a short line so that leaves 7 remaining and 3 are connected via a "T" type thing. I'm assuming that I have to bypass both the black type valves currently on the left and right side of the bike because there is no where to screw banjos into. This has turned out to be a bit more complicated than I anticapted having no instructions.

Anyone seen what this completed installation is suppose to look like or have any pictures? Suggestions?

PA020058800x600.jpg

PA020053800x600.jpg

PA020054800x600.jpg

PA020055800x600.jpg

PA020056800x600.jpg

PA020059800x600.jpg

PA020060800x600.jpg

4 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

I can't help with yours, other than guessing that you replace all the lines, rather than replacing just some of them.

The real reason I chimed in is that I have been without brakes for 2+ weeks, thanks to the Galfer kit I got. I'll make another thread as soon as I can. The short story is they can't seem to send copper crush washers that are thick enough to do the job. Prepare for leaks. :pissed:

I was able to use the "T" connector with 3 cables for the front lines. I also replaced the clutch and two rear cables. All those pieces work great after 4-5 bleeding proceedures. I was unable to use the last 4 lines with the kit to replace the front linked brakes (uggg). One of the cables I got is too short and I just can't seem to figure it out otherwise.

During my first bleeding proceedures I noticed a few small bubbles coming from the copper washers but realized maybe the angle of the banjo was not correct. After a few tiny twists left or right I got them sealed correctly but they definitely do not fit like the OEM ones.

For $400 bucks, I do not recommend this kit. No support and I was unable to finish the project. I posted some more detailed information at VFR World.

-Bill-

• Member Contributer

Bill,

I called Galfer last week and spoke to a tech guy. I let him know I had all the bolts at their max. spec of 15 lb-ft, and there were leaks at all the washers. Although their instructions specify the banjo bolt torque settings to be 12-15 lb-ft, he said I should go up to the OEM spec of 22 lb-ft. He said to do it in small increments of 2-3 lb-ft per twist.

Had I known the Galfer kit could handle 22-lb-ft, I would have been done and riding weeks ago! Now, I just need to little bit of garage time to torque the bolts more and finish up. :fing02:

Archived