Help I Don't Have Any Headlights

AKayaker2

• Member Contributer

Okay so I've been lurking around here for several months learning, laughing and enjoying all of you. But know I need some help. On the way home today I went around a sharp right turn and looked down to see that my entire display was empty except for the clock. I have ignition, brake lights, turn signals, but no head lights or display. I tried a new fuse in the headlight spot - still nothing. What do you suggest? sad.gif

• Member Contributer

When you push the button to start the bike, this turns off all the lights so the battery can use all its oomph to start the bike. Something in this switch pod has gotten stuck, and your lights did not come back on when you stopped pushing the button. Try wiggling that button around a bit, and wiggling the kill switch as well. See if you can get them to come on.

If I'm right, you should start thinking now about how to prevent it happening again, because it will. Something in there is dirty or worn out and needs attention.

You can continue wiggling it around to get it going again whenever it happens, but be aware that things like this worsen over time. You can try spraying contact cleaner in through the cracks from the outside, and see if staves off recurrences. You can try taking it apart (careful, springs will fly out) so you can clean/adjust the contacts. You can just give up and order a replacement part.

I'd only go as far down this road as I had to. Probably I'd get by for a while on wiggling the switch, and get an idea of just what sort of wiggle does the most good. Then some day when I had lots of time, I'd take it apart and fix it. I wouldn't replace it unless I failed utterly in my attempt to fix it.

• Member Contributer

Oh by the way I am obviously not used to using a Forum and basically a dolt about all this. Sorry!

I thought of that a bit but then questioned why the lights and display turned off several miles into my ride. I'm very worried that I'll loose my lights at night on this wondeerful twisty road I ride to and from work.

• Member Contributer

Well, try wiggling it anyway. If the lights come on, or even flicker a bit, then you know the problem is in that switch, and you can work from there.

You have everything else, so it's probably not a flaky ignition switch, and wiggling the key probably won't help.

If it's not a flaky switch, and the fuse you already replaced is the correct one and you replaced it properly, you're going to have to get a copy of the wiring diagram, and start poking around with a multimeter. Which is a big pain, so I hope you don't have to do that!

And not to worry about the forum usage stuff - it gets easier as it gets more familiar.

I had a similar thing happen to me . I got pulled over by CHP and when she finished checking me out .....I started my bike and went on my way.

Well about an hour later it got dark.....bingo I had no headlight. I do not remember if any other lights or gauges were out. I found out that

my ignition button had stuck a bit on restart. A little wiggle and yeeeehaaaaa I had light. So a stick ignition switch could be the issue. Hope it

helps .

Bart

Archived