Plug Wires?

johotogame

• Member Contributer

Could i just get some generic spark plug wires from a car cut one end and put the cap that screws onto my coils on it ?

85 vf700f

• Member Contributer

Hello:

The short answer is, "Yes."

I don't know about your bike for sure, but my '89 (and I ASSUME earlier models) have resistance built into the spark-plug boot (this all has to do with RF interference and the CDI).

If you want to read more than you ever wanted to know about ignition cables / wires, read this:

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

rctwentyfour

• Member Contributer

any brand wire you would recomend to buyfrom an auto parts store?

• Member Contributer

just wanting to know buying parts and fluids etc tomorrow (getting semi synthetic) was gonna pick up some wires if i can figure out what to get.

• Member Contributer
any brand wire you would recomend to buyfrom an auto parts store?
Hello:

Well, that is why I provided that Magnecor link. That information is literally a dissertation on ignition cables.

I just went through all this, because I installed Dynatek DC3-1 ignition coils, and the OEM ignition wires would not fit (for a couple of reasons - length, and the coil end "attachment"). Also, I had to figure-out why the OEM ignition wires have this huge chunk of brass in there to provide resistance. (The resistance reduces the RFI / EMI.)

I had Magnecor fabricate a set of ignition wires for me – tailor-made (the lengths were irregular, due to the way I had to install the coils).

At one point, I was freaked-out about RFI / EMI, but, after all that worrying, it simply does not seem to be an issue.

My local Honda dealer had bulk ignition wire that could simply be cut to length. Maybe that is the way to go.

Or, I guess maybe a better question is – if you’ve made no modifications – why not just order replacement ignition wires from Honda?

rctwentyfour

Archived