Who Would Have Thought?!?

enzed_viffer

A few munce ago :salesman: I plugged up the PAIR system on the VifFerraRi (as you do, because here in VFRDland, it's compulsory.) It seemed to make no difference.

Yesterday, in response to a post by someone saying that "running your bike without the PAIR valves working makes your cat grumpy", I took the plugs out.

This morning, the bike was idling ~300rpm faster, and seemed much smoother. I think (but I'm not sure) that the lumpy running that plagued the bike when it was really hot, has gone. Certainly, the coolant temp got to 106C, so it wasn't cool.

I don't really understand, unless there was an air leak in the PAIR hoses or summat. +1.gif

Also, I noticed last night, the zorst note seems slightly louder and deeper.

This is kinda weird; I thought the PAIR system was there to pacify the pacifists'n'environMENTALists, not to actually DO anything. :goofy:

I can see too, that I may have to edit my PCII map, as this seems to have affected the running - overall more betterer, but a bit less 'zap' when the throttle is opened.

WEIRD (II)....

I don't know why people dissable the pair valves, the valves only inject air on decel at which point the O2's are not active, they are only active on accel. Anyway, Just make sure you have the O2 eliminators or the resistor mod in place and you will be fine. A friend of mine is a smart man, knows ECM programing and such, and he is operating his '07 with an exhaust and nothing more than the O2 elims. He is not, i repeat, is not using a PCIII and his bike runs awesomely. He tried the PCIII, but found the bike runs much better and stronger without the PCIII than any of the maps from DJ. Right now I am runing mine with Leo Vince exhaust and no PCIII and mine runs great. I am most likely going to do the O2 elims as well to do away with the hesitations and stumbles when the bike is fully warmed up. Good luck.

I don't know why people dissable the pair valves

It's mandatory, innit? :unsure:

Anyway, Just make sure you have the O2 eliminators or the resistor mod in place and you will be fine. A friend of mine is a smart man, knows ECM programing and such, and he is operating his '07 with an exhaust and nothing more than the O2 elims.

I was running a borrowed PCII and eliminators, then just the eliminators when I had to give the PCII back. It ran fine with just the O2 eliminators, apart from a wee bit of bogging at lowish revs. So I bought a secondhand PCII and fitted it. None of the maps I tried worked very well, so eventually I modified a zero map with some extra fuelling and ignition advance at high revs/big throttle. I am running 98 (RON) fuel.

Other mods are a Satantune zorst with modified restrictor, and a Unifilter foam aircleaner elephant.

At some stage (I don't recall when, but IIRC, it was after I fitted the PCII), I plugged the PAIR valve pipes, and refitted them. What I don't get is that for some reason this actually lowered the revs.

Also some time recently, the bike started running a wee bit rough when REALLY hot, like there were lumps in the gas. Not a lean surge, but irregular.

When I took the plugs out, I noticed three (3) things:

- The revs increased about 2-300 rpm

- The irregular running seemed to have gone. Mostly(?)

- The zorst noise seems a bit louder at idle, and lower. I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining this, but maybe I am (I'm nutz, y'know).

Mebbe I need to lift the tank and look for airleaks, kinked tubes or summat. I was of the understanding that the PAIR valves were just for air to be sucked into the exhaust on deceleration, so I don't see how that could affect the engine with the O2 sensors disabled, but it definitely seems to. Weird...

Archived