Fix-a-flat

chaoslost200

• Member Contributer

I currently have a slow leak in my back tire, I lose about 15psi during a week if I don't ride. The tires have about 3500 miles on them and I'm thinking I've got another 1000 before I need to replace the rear tire for tread issues. After searching the site for any topics on fix-a-flat and not finding any real info I thought I'd see what people suggest.

This Friday I'm riding from Asheville to the end of the Parkway and back. It should be about 700 miles plus any riding I do while I'm up in Va for the weekend. Instead of blowing my money on a new set of tires before these really need it does anybody think it would be a bad idea to give it some fix-a-flat for the weekend and then get new tires next week. Will the fix-a-flat affect the ride, or balance?

Also as long as I'm asking for tire advice, I know there are a million threads here on tires, but thats exactly the problem... I spend pretty equal time doing highway rides around 300 miles and just as much time on the parkway or other WNC back roads. What are good combo tires that have a harder center compound and a softer edge? Or just any good suggestions for a mixed use tire.

• Member Contributer

As one who changes tires on a regular basis, I have to say that I HATE fix-a-flat. I know that sometimes it's a necessary evil, but it really sucks to change a tire with it in it. I would check to see if you can find the leak by pumping the tire up to @45-50 psi and going after it with some soapy water in a spray bottle. Check around the valve stem first and ck. the schrader valve on the stem as well. A lot of times they leak slightly there. Also make sure the cap is on the valve stem tightly. Good Luck and have a safe ride.

Oh, and as for the tires, I've had great luck with avons. I'm currently running the storms and I love 'em.

• Member Contributer
As one who changes tires on a regular basis, I have to say that I HATE fix-a-flat. I know that sometimes it's a necessary evil, but it really sucks to change a tire with it in it. I would check to see if you can find the leak by pumping the tire up to @45-50 psi and going after it with some soapy water in a spray bottle. Check around the valve stem first and ck. the schrader valve on the stem as well. A lot of times they leak slightly there. Also make sure the cap is on the valve stem tightly. Good Luck and have a safe ride.

Oh, and as for the tires, I've had great luck with avons. I'm currently running the storms and I love 'em.

I've seen car tires with fix-a-flat and not noticed any difficulties or issues with replacing the tire... is there a difference with the bike tires? My biggest problem with finding the leak is that none of the shops in Asheville are open till Thursday and I've got to work all day before leaving. If I find the leak I'm not even sure if they'll be able to fix it so I'm trying to do my research now to see if I have worth while options or if I'll just have to take the cage this weekend.

• Member Contributer

There's no problem changing them, it just makes a huge gooey mess all over the tire machine and sometimes my shoes.

• Member Contributer
There's no problem changing them, it just makes a huge gooey mess all over the tire machine and sometimes my shoes.

So if I go with the fix-a-flat warn the guy before he takes the tire off huh? Do you know if there are any issues with using it on a bike? Should I worry about pushing the bike as hard as I normally do? I don't want to spend 700 miles on curvy roads wondering when I'm going to wobble off into a tree or something.

• Member Contributer

The shops around here charge a clean up fee if they find goo inside. I had the same problem but opted to just have the tire removed, then I patched it internally with a tube type patch, then I had it mounted and balanced again. It actually did not need to be re-balanced. They mounted it in the same orientation and it was fine with no weights at all. Cost me $30.00 but I hate slow leaks. I always find the tire low or flat right when I want to take a ride!

Archived