I Did It - Road Attacks Going On Tomorrow

Guest hustond

Guest hustond

I've noticed the front end being a little bumpy going into the whole 1 mile of curves I have on my daily commute over the last couple of days and did a once over on the front tire last night. It's a Battle Axe and guess what - cupping and pretty much bald. I thought I had a few more miles left, but obviously not.

Called around the motorcycle mecca of Des Moines looking for the the Avon Storm ST's or the Continental Road Attacks based on the reviews I've been reading matched to my riding style/conditions. I was very pleased with the pricing I got from most everyone as it was close to the Internet pricing I had found, but no one had the tires in stock and it would take two days to get them in and bike night and my confidence need them sooner. Called a small shop and they had the Road Attacks in stock!!!!! :D I made the appointment for 9:00 tomorrow and they will have it done by 5:00. If I get really brave, I may try and take the wheels off tonight to simplify the whole process.

Front was $101.22 and the rear was $119.89 with $35 mounting for each tire. So looking at rigt around $300. I'll try to get some pics up and keep you informed of how they seem after my initial impression.

I've noticed the front end being a little bumpy going into the whole 1 mile of curves I have on my daily commute over the last couple of days and did a once over on the front tire last night. It's a Battle Axe and guess what - cupping and pretty much bald. I thought I had a few more miles left, but obviously not.

Called around the motorcycle mecca of Des Moines looking for the the Avon Storm ST's or the Continental Road Attacks based on the reviews I've been reading matched to my riding style/conditions. I was very pleased with the pricing I got from most everyone as it was close to the Internet pricing I had found, but no one had the tires in stock and it would take two days to get them in and bike night and my confidence need them sooner. Called a small shop and they had the Road Attacks in stock!!!!! :D I made the appointment for 9:00 tomorrow and they will have it done by 5:00. If I get really brave, I may try and take the wheels off tonight to simplify the whole process.

Front was $101.22 and the rear was $119.89 with $35 mounting for each tire. So looking at rigt around $300. I'll try to get some pics up and keep you informed of how they seem after my initial impression.

I put a Sport Attack on the front and a Road attack on the rear 2 months ago. I have been pleasently suprised, they stick very well and give me much better feed back then the Bridgestones 014 I had on last year. I have a little over a 1000 miles on the tires and they show little wear to this point. I am not as a agressive rider as some, but I do love the twisties.

I have Pilot powers on my older VFR, and I very happy with them, except I wear them out to fast, and have a tough time explaining to the wife why I always need new tires. The Continentals may not stick as well but they wear better and are not far behind the Powers in performance, my opion of cource:)

• Member Contributer

Just switched to Road Attacks two weeks ago and have approx 500 + miles on them now. I like them much more than the MAXXIS V1's....my chicken strips are nearly half of what they were with my old tires. The tires seem to stick more so than previous set, thus more confidence in tighter turns. Will have to see how they wear in the long run.

Just switched to Road Attacks two weeks ago and have approx 500 + miles on them now. I like them much more than the MAXXIS V1's....my chicken strips are nearly half of what they were with my old tires. The tires seem to stick more so than previous set, thus more confidence in tighter turns. Will have to see how they wear in the long run.

Im having the Conti's put on today actually. Total its costing me $270 with installation included.

• Member Contributer

Im having the Conti's put on today actually. Total its costing me $270 with installation included.

Seems fair....right about what I paid as well.

Did you take your own wheels off? My price is with just dropping the bike off (which may get changed since I can't find a ride). I was wondering how the $35 per wheel stacked up for mounting the tires. Just curious if the labor is different or if it's because the motorcycle audience is smaller here.

Did you take your own wheels off? My price is with just dropping the bike off (which may get changed since I can't find a ride). I was wondering how the $35 per wheel stacked up for mounting the tires. Just curious if the labor is different or if it's because the motorcycle audience is smaller here.

Yeah the mechanic was going to charge me $35 a wheel but i took the wheels off then brought them to the shop. Thats saved me $20/wheel just because the labor.

Thanks. Makes me feel a little better. I'm going to see how the front is and maybe I can do it. The rear of course isn't a problem. :thumbsup:

800 miles on my Conti Road Attacks on Oklahoma untwisty roads. Very happy thus far vs stock Dunlap, smooth ride, confident no surprises.

• Member Contributer

My buddy put them on his VStrom just before our Deals Gap trip. They stuck like mad on that bike, he ran them at 32psi cause he know he was going to ride hard and he actually blistered the edges a little going thru the Dragon, almost looked like he was on the track with them when he was done. Overall he is very very impressed with them as are the European riders. They like'em alot, say there great in the wet too.

Are there any tricks to taking off the wheels? The rear should be pretty easy. :lol: But what about the front? I'm logging into HRC to look at the service manual. Any help would be appreciated.

OK, since I'm usually a hippocrite and don't have any pics, here is a pic of my second favorite ride (with out wheels). I will post again with close ups of the new sneakers tomorrow.

bike003.jpg

I have a new bike that I'm trying to get used to. These tires have totally changed the bike! It's taking a little bit to get used to and I still need about 50 miles and some twisties to get the coating off, but they feel so much more connected to the road than the battle axes that I had on previously. Even my wife noticed and said they seemed like they were gripping the road more.

I had to take both front calipers off to get the front wheel back on because they were so much bigger. Part of the problem may be that they tech that put the tires on the wheels says the tires should be ran at 42 psi to get the best life out of tires and the best milage. The battle axes were set at 32 psi. I'm not sure what to make of it. Any advice on where to run them at. They feel fine and I'm only having an issue with the tires becuase the big has been raised about an inch and they feel more connected, which is a good thing. I'll try to get pics up tomorrow.

Rode 160 miles yesteday to break them in on a charity ride. I'm soooo impressed and happy with my decision. I can't believe I waited so long.

Sorry slow to post the pics, we'll see what happens tonight.

Ok, for those interested, here are the pics (please no comments on rear tire - they only had 75 miles on them). I know have about 500 miles on them and I'm working on getting the sides of the tires marked up a little. Anyone else running them, what tire pressure are you running? I'm still concerned that the 42 psi they are set by the shop is high.

bike013.jpg

bike012.jpg

bike015.jpg

bike017.jpg

Have you noticed the Conti Road Attacks have the sidewall lettering upside down vs other tire brands?

Do you have any sense of the Contis' advertized 12% larger contact patch?

Yes, I noticed the upside down writing on the tires. I remember the tire sizes now, but instead of cocking my head side ways, I can just read the tires. Simple, yet nice feature.

Unfortunately since I've only put about 3000 miles on the bike I don't have much to compare them to except the Battle Axe's that were on before the Conti's went on. I have about 500 miles on the Conti's now and love them. I feel more attached and confident while riding. I don't know if that's attributed to the new tires or the 12% larger contact patch.

I do know that I would definately recommend these tires to anyone interested in new tires.

What pressure are you running yours at?

36F/42R psi

In July I hope to wear the Contis in a bit more while (hopefully) in Michigan vs what I can do here in Oklahoma. Nevertheless, I really like these tires on my red 2003 VFR800A.

I put on a set of Road Attacks at the end of April and have 2558 miles on them. They've been great and only show a little wear on the back wheel. The Conti Attack lettering has been worn off. I got mine for 205 bucks (including shipping) for the set and had them mounted on the wheels for 40 dollars. I took the wheels off myself.

I've been real pleased with the feel, good tip in. Also no worries on the wear. I even bought another rear tire to replace, if needed. So far the front is hardly wearing at all so I think I'll get two rears out of each front. I hope to have my tire combo (1 front and 2 rears) last me for about 12 to 15 thousand miles.

We'll see. It just got really hot here in Phoenix and I think I'll notice a lot more wear with the 110 degree heat.

I have been running the road attacks for over a year and love them..My front tire now has over 10,000 miles on it and still grips excellent and still has another 1,000 miles left on it easy..

I just bought a new front tire from a motorcycle shop ,The owner sold me a conti road attack for $85 because he said nobody wants them and it had set on his tire rack for a year and no takers, so i jumped on that deal.

Tell him to order more so when no one wants them and he wants to make a good deal on the, I can get one too!!!!!!!! :lol:

Archived