Tire Changing Experience

Guest mojopolo

Guest mojopolo

Thanks to HSlammer's DIY posts and others' posts, I bit the bullet and bought a set of tire irons, a harbor freight setup, a no-mar mounter/demounter bar, and a Marc Parnes balancer.

A couple of observations:

- The No-Mar bar is excellent with great videos on their site. Their lube works well too!

- I didn't need all of the Pro Motion tire irons I bought -- I used one to help hold the lip of the tire out and it was the thing that scratched my rim in that one spot.

- The Harbor Freight rig needs a bolt to be put right through the center pole to prevent the top from rotating on the bottom. The friction screw hold-down is worthless.

- The rim holders need some rubber or shelf liner material to increase the friction to prevent the rim from rotating in the clamps

- There was a suggestion to mark the heavy spot of a bare rim .. a great suggestion, it was not the place where the valve was

Hope this helps ya,

MP

- The rim holders need some rubber or shelf liner material to increase the friction to prevent the rim from rotating in the clamps

Dipped mine in that plastic dip stuff. Works good. Scuffed them up with some sand paper to provide a better bond and then dipped them twice. Haven't had any slipping since.

Mojopolo,

I have the HF stand and Marc Parnes balancer.

I dipped my holding clamps in plastic-dip, twice, and I use rubber from a bicycle tube too. This does the trick for keeping the wheel from spinning/scratching in the HF stand.

I did one set of tires with tire irons, NEVER again :goofy: , too much work. You really need a proper mounter/demounter bar to make this setup work.

I see you bought a no-mar mounter/demounter bar. I'm going with the MojoLever myself. I understand he's tooling up for another run of MojoLevers soon, and I hope to have my very own by Xmas.

TINK :blink:

I'll try the "double dip" .. I was going to get the mojolevers (gotta like that name!) but I needed a bar sooner so I could get the new rubber on. I was very impressed with the No-Mar bar, very nicely made and worked just like their videos.

MP

Archived