Olympia Airglide 2 Jacket & Pant Help And Short Review

Guest Drizzt

Guest Drizzt

Okay, so I've had this set for a couple of months now and for the most part I love them.

The Good

The pants are very easy to get on and off, and have a very nice touch of being able to adjust the location of the knee armor for vertically challenged types like myself. The Jacket is also very nice, has some nice features like being able to fold the neck clasp back on itself you if you don't like it and chinches in all the right spots to keep things (most things, see below) from flappin' in the wind. Have tested them in 100 degree Texas weather with jeans and a shirt on underneath and as long as you are moving the jacket flows very well and the pants, while a tad warmish with jeans, are really not that bad. For commuting with business casual underneath it's perfect, a tad warm at stop lights but overall I am very happy with the breathability. Hell, I am often tempted to use the overpants as riding pants with shorts underneath, but I don't really think that is what they were designed for. CE approved armor in all places except the hips, which is some kind of high density foam or sumat. Material is Cordura which have come highly recommended to me by people who have introduced it to asphalt. It has a rain liner, but I have no idea what this rain stuff is as we don't ever seem to get this phenomenon in there parts...

The Not-So-Good (but maybe somebody has a way to fix 'em)

The jacket zips into the pants with a six inch long zipper in the back of the jacket on some slightly elastic material about 2 inches long. The first problem I am having is that the jacket will ride up on my waist and basically expose my abdomen. I tried pinning the elastic shorter, thinking it would pull the jacket down or the pants up, but it didn't seem to work due to the amount of slack elsewhere. I kinda wish it had a full circumference zipper, and have been considering having one added. Anybody ever try this?

The next problem is the shoulders. Actually, not so much the shoulders as the material between the shoulder armor and the collar. At speed this material begins to flap, often to the point it creates enough turbulence that it'll shake my helmet. VERY annoying. Now the jacket is a large, but the medium seems tight. I'm trying to find somebody with a medium that'll let me test it and see if it fixes the problem. The other option is to have it altered, but I am a little leery of the idea as I don't know if special threading and such is needed. Anybody ever went this route?

The Verdict

Overall I am very happy with this set and use it everyday, even in the 100+ heat here in Texas. If'n you're looking at this set, be very careful with the sizing on the jacket as that shoulder flap problem is real annoying.

The Questions

Anybody got any advice on the two Not-so-Good items?

~David

There are two questions in there, nobody has any input on them? Maybe I should have started two threads, a review and a call for help?

• Member Contributer

I am not sure about the jacket riding up on you... but I did wack off the velcro strap on my nitro jacket because a) the neck is too small for me to completely close and B) it made me crazy by 1) sticking to my chin strap and 2) flapping in the wind.

• Member Contributer

Hey David,

Good write up.

I'm in DFW also and just bought the same set from MotoLiberty. I tried on every mesh jacket and pant in the store, but in the end, I just liked the comfort/price/versatility of the Airglide 2.

Anywho, back to your questions.... My jacket doesn't ride up, however it does bunch up. But I seem to have that issue will just about any jacket. A full zipper sounds like a great idea. To my knowledge, only Rev-It makes a full zipper for their mesh gear.

I haven't experienced the shoulder material flapper either, so I'm guessing you're having an overall fit issue. I would want someone to have previous motorcycle gear experience before letting them alter my gear - obviously the seams are the big issue.

My jacket is a Medium and you're welcome to test it. I'm heading out of town on business for a few days, but PM me and we'll work something out.

Brian

Archived