Garmin 2720 On Ram Mount

Rabidsnipe

• Member Contributer

Been meaning to post about this. If anyone has ever seriously given thought to adding GPS to thier ride; DO IT! It is by far the best mod I have ever made (although I did just add a Givi topcase). I'll post pics as soon as I get some.

I too have the 2720, but my mounts (touratech, www.touratech-usa.com) won't be here until Friday. Although expensive, I went with the touratech as it locks the GPS to the bike. I figure that in combination with the perimeter sensor on my alarm should keep it there when in a restaurant and such.

Parts -

065-0064 : TT mnt SP 2610, 2720, 2730 MvG LOCK BLACK

G10495-2 : 2610, 2720 Power/Audio Cable

065-0040 : Mount adapter/riser (order GRBH)

Guest BlueVFRank

Don't expect to much of the locking capabilities of the touratech. Most members in my group still remove their gps during a pitstop but he i live in the netherlands.

I'm really pleased with my ram mount wich is mounted on the two screws holding the front. Verry simple and perfectly in sight. even with a hugh tankbag in front of it.

I'm really pleased with my ram mount wich is mounted on the two screws holding the front. Verry simple and perfectly in sight. even with a hugh tankbag in front of it.

BlueVFRank,

Do you mean mounted from the two screws holding the front of the tank? If possible, I'd like to see a photo, as I too have a huge tankbag (Oxford Expander) that I regularly carry.

Guest BlueVFRank

Check out this page, here you'll find three mounting possibilities for the viffer.

My method is shown in detail.

(and for everybody who is to lazy to click on a link)

vfr-ram3.JPG

a_vfr-ram.jpg

Guest BlueVFRank
At Cycle Gadgets I got a mount for my SPIII that just slips into the steering tube. Works great! Geezer

Is it an version with an expander or a bolt and nut (is this the correct description??)

Check both versions regularly and use some locktite if possible. This mount is known to suddenly loosen. Most riders i know switched to my version.

BlueVFRank,

Perfect, thank you.

Check out this page, here you'll find three mounting possibilities for the viffer.

• Member Contributer
Is it an version with an expander or a bolt and nut (is this the correct description??)

Check both versions regularly and use some locktite if possible. This mount is known to suddenly loosen. Most riders i know switched to my version.

Blue VFRank, thanks for heads up. 12k miles 18 months no problems. It expands with rubber bushings when tightened. I have a RAM on the ST1300, it is a bit bulkier but also works well. Geezer

Exactly what mount pieces are those? Garmin gives several different mounts when I search under 2002 VFR.

Thanks

My method is shown in detail.

(and for everybody who is to lazy to click on a link)

vfr-ram3.JPG

a_vfr-ram.jpg

• Member Contributer

I mounted mine on Ram mount on the clutch reservior because I have a Scotts Dampener setup.

See post

or my album:

For another alternative. smile.gif

• Member Contributer
Don't expect to much of the locking capabilities of the touratech. Most members in my group still remove their gps during a pitstop but he i live in the netherlands.

I'm considering mounting a Garmin Quest 2 in the same position....did you use the standard 3" arm or the longer 5" arm? I think I want the 5" because I have a Powerlet power outlet in the steering head, and I'm wondering if the 3" would be too short by not having enough room or clearance between the GPS unit and the Powerlet plug. If I go with a 3" perhaps a right angle (lower profile) power plug would solve that...I just don't want to get an arm that's too short or too tall in accommodating the steering head power plug.

Guest BlueVFRank
I'm considering mounting a Garmin Quest 2 in the same position....did you use the standard 3" arm or the longer 5" arm? I think I want the 5" because I have a Powerlet power outlet in the steering head, and I'm wondering if the 3" would be too short by not having enough room or clearance between the GPS unit and the Powerlet plug. If I go with a 3" perhaps a right angle (lower profile) power plug would solve that...I just don't want to get an arm that's too short or too tall in accommodating the steering head power plug.

I use the 3" haqve thought about longer. I usually set it so that it lays as flat as possible just hovering above the stem. If. you want to use a 12V i think it would be wiser to use manufacture some kind of bushes so the gps will be raised in a straight line up and creating enough room for the connection.

Don't now the number of the mount. But it's a standard one, wich you might have to drill out about 2 mm on each side.

Been meaning to post about this. If anyone has ever seriously given thought to adding GPS to thier ride; DO IT! It is by far the best mod I have ever made ...

Rabidsnipe,

Not to be a complete Noob about this, but why do you think that it is "by far the best mod I have ever made"?

I have ideas of why I would like a GPS, but what is it that so turns your crank?

• Member Contributer

I looked at the 2720, but didn't like the fact that there's no built-in battery. That means either leaving the device on the bike when stopping (for lunch, etc), or powering it down and taking it with you. Then power back up, wait for the satellite fix before riding again. How fast does it regain a sat. fix after being powered up?

Thanks,

• Member Contributer
I looked at the 2720, but didn't like the fact that there's no built-in battery. That means either leaving the device on the bike when stopping (for lunch, etc), or powering it down and taking it with you. Then power back up, wait for the satellite fix before riding again. How fast does it regain a sat. fix after being powered up?

Thanks,

On warm up (been off overnight (for example)) it takes about 45 seconds. If you're stopping for lunch (and it's been on before stop), 15-30 secs. In other words, that "wait" time is hardly noticeable. It takes me longer to get on my gear than it does to find the sats.

Guest BlueVFRank

I use a Quest 2 with external antenna, especially because i want to be able to use it "stand alone". for instance while walking in the outdoors or in foreign cities.

Archived