Recognize this?

jstanwood

• Member Contributer

I just bought this '97 over the weekend and rode it home. I was happy to see the previous owner took care of adding a view into the charging system.

Does anyone have a setup like this? I'm just wondering if it's homemade, or a commercially available unit so I can look it up and figure out how it works.

Green in the middle must be good. The red on the right is low, and the red on the left is high. At a traffic light with the engine idling and the brake and turn signals on, the red on the right sometimes light up, but it goes right back to green as soon as I'm off idle.

Thanks in advance for any help!

gallery_4940_1398_26315.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

What type of voltage meter is this?

gallery_4940_1398_70846.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

RtSide1.jpg

Don't recognize the piece, but it's a pretty standard looking voltmeter, but without the actual readout. Typically, those lights will show "green" when the charging system is putting out more than 13.5 v, which is OK, but Honda calls for 14.2-14.8 v out of our charging systems. With the light, you don't know exactly where you stand, voltage-wise. You could be at 13.6 v.j

That said, your bike's lack of fuel injection (and its related additional electrical needs) perhaps make the voltage issue not as crucial. Most I've seen tend to with the C-Volt meter (that's what I have), though others have found more attractive (albeit more expensive) offerings. Do a search on here and you should find some fairly recent ones.

• Member Contributer
Does anyone have a setup like this? I'm just wondering if it's homemade, or a commercially available unit so I can look it up and figure out how it works.

Thanks in advance for any help!

gallery_4940_1398_26315.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

What type of voltage meter is this?

It's a Dyanatek charge or voltage monitor, they make two models like this:

one monitors battery voltage, the other your charging system:

http://www.dynaonline.com/english/dyna_voltage.htm

http://www.dynaonline.com/english/dyna_charge.htm

I've been using the same one on my last three bikes. Simple and effective!

You'll have to get a good look at the sticker on the side to tell which one you have....

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Easiest way to check the thing out is to hook the bike up to a voltmeter and see what lights come on at what voltage.

Archived