Autocom Install Ideas

Croatsens

Hi all,

I was hoping for some ideas on how to hook up my autocom unit. I know I need a fused 12v source. I don't want to have to hook up an aux fuse box. The best place seems to be off of the tail light, but I was wondering if there were anyother better places to hook up to? Has anyone had any experience with the autocom tail light power adapter? What is the best way to splice into the wire? I have some basic skills in soldering, but is there anything specifically I should watch for? I have an 04 VFR. Thanks for any info,

• Member Contributer

I have mine under the seat wired into the tail light. They do not recommend using the brake light adapter if you have ABS brakes.

I didn't wire mine myself, but the shop that did it used an adapter to splice into the tail light and also grounded it using the same adapter. I've been having problems with buzzing/whining when the rpms get past about 5K. I called Autcomm and they said that it is likely due to the use of the adapter and also the ground should be grounded directly to the battery. The tech also recommended either soldering the power directly to the tail light wire or just wrapping it around the fuse that drives the tail light. I haven't had a chance to change the set up, so can't comment as to whether or not it will get rid of the buzzing/whining.

Hope this helps,

Brian

• Member Contributer
I have mine under the seat wired into the tail light.  They do not recommend using the brake light adapter if you have ABS brakes. 

I didn't wire mine myself, but the shop that did it used an adapter to splice into the tail light and also grounded it using the same adapter.  I've been having problems with buzzing/whining when the rpms get past about 5K.  I called Autcomm and they said that it is likely due to the use of the adapter and also the ground should be grounded directly to the battery.  The tech also recommended either soldering the power directly to the tail light wire or just wrapping it around the fuse that drives the tail light.  I haven't had a chance to change the set up, so can't comment as to whether or not it will get rid of the buzzing/whining.

Hope this helps,

Brian

Can you let us know which of the three wires that run to the tail light did the shop use for hooking up the unit (the positive-red connection)? They have different colors so it must be easy to tell.

Thanks

I just hooked up my autocom last night to the tail light lead. The hot wire was the grey on in between the two green ones. It was a pain but I was able to finesse the metal connector out of the plastic housing and solder the autocom power wire onto the connector itself. The bigger pain was to get it all back in since there are plastic tabs holding the connector from sliding out of the back side of the plastic housing that had to be moved upwards. Sorry no pics of the process but I can get some of the final product if anyone is interested. I like the clean look of not splicing into the wire harness itself or a connection adapter. I tried to tie into the stock fusebox first but couldn't figure out how to disconnect the leads out of the back side of the box. Happy riding

I have an Autocom pro still in the box, I haven't got around to installing yet. I really should so I can hook up my radar detector. My main concern is where to locate the control box. Does it fit under the seat? Where did you mount yours?

• Member Contributer
I just hooked up my autocom last night to the tail light lead.  The hot wire was the grey on in between the two green ones.  It was a pain but I was able to finesse the metal connector out of the plastic housing and solder the autocom power wire onto the connector itself.  The bigger pain was to get it all back in since there are plastic tabs holding the connector from sliding out of the back side of the plastic housing that had to be moved upwards.  Sorry no pics of the process but I can get some of the final product if anyone is interested.  I like the clean look of not splicing into the wire harness itself or a connection adapter.  I tried to tie into the stock fusebox first but couldn't figure out how to disconnect the leads out of the back side of the box.  Happy riding

Croatsens,

I connected the black wire to the negative pole of the battery and the red wire of my autocom to the brown one at the tail light as you said and my battery got completely discharged! I definitely screwed up something, wish I knew what did I do wrong. Any ideas or suggestions?

Is it easy for you to get any pictures of the connection?

Thanks

Archived