Oil Change - Tips

Can everyone please share tips or advise regarding the oil change process on an 02 VTEC? Is it necessary to remove both side panels? Can only the left side be loosened?

There is a first time for everything, and I'd appreciate your help.

Regards,

Luckyman???

*************************************added by HS

Remove the Panel on the left Side, Take off the left side panel and the inner panel.

panel1.jpg

panel2.jpg

The Fairing Bolts should only be tightened to 1.1 ft/lb when reinstalling the panels, thats hand-tight.

For Tools your going to need about 4 quarts of New Oil. Honda recommends 10W40 with no Graphite or Molybdenum additives for good clutch operation, no Caster Based, non detergent, or vegetable based Oils.

You will need a filter wrench, oil pan, funnel, 14mm socket, replacement washer for the oil pan bolt (you can get by without it if its not damaged), new filter, and a torque wrench. I use vinyl Gloves to keep the grease out of my fingernails.

oil01.jpg

Tools

oil02.jpg

Loosen the drain bolt and let it go, you should warm up the engine for five minutes to help the oil flow out, watch out you don't burn yourself.

oil03.jpg

Hot Oil Watch for splashing, keep kids/animals away from your work area.

oil04.jpg

Before removing the old filter cover the headers with a rag to keep oil off them

oil05.jpg

If your using a socket type wrench my will need an extenstion.

oil06.jpg

oil always leaks out of the old filter.

oil07.jpg

moisen the new filter seal with oil.

oil08.jpg

Screw the new filter on, careful not the cross thread, and torque to (7ft/lbs for 98-01, or 22ft/lbs for VTEC).

oil09.jpg

Tread the drain bolt back on, new washer if you have one, and torque to 22 ft/lbs, again don't cross thread the bolt.

Screw off the filler cap and insert your funnel, put in 3 quarts and check the level in the window, fill it to the top line. Then put the cap back on (Your not done yet) start the motor and let it run for a little while, enough time to let the oil pump fill the new filter and circulate the oil all over the engine. Then turn it off and wait a few minutes and check the level again, fill to to between the marks on the sight glass. Reinstall the fairings and your done.

filler.jpg

See below for a diagram to get the plastic clips out.

• 4 years later...
Guest mickbackroll

Can everyone please share tips or advise regarding the oil change process on an 02 VTEC? Is it necessary to remove both side panels? Can only the left side be loosened?

Regards,

Luckyman???

Remove the Panel on the left Side, Take off the left side panel and the inner panel.

panel1.jpg

panel2.jpg

The Fairing Bolts should only be tightened to 1.1 ft/lb when reinstalling the panels, thats hand-tight.

For Tools your going to need about 4 quarts of New Oil. Honda recommends 10W40 with no Graphite or Molybdenum additives for good clutch operation, no Caster Based, non detergent, or vegetable based Oils.

You will need a filter wrench, oil pan, funnel, 14mm socket, replacement washer for the oil pan bolt (you can get by without it if its not damaged), new filter, and a torque wrench. I use vinyl Gloves to keep the grease out of my fingernails.

oil01.jpg

Tools

oil02.jpg

Loosen the drain bolt and let it go, you should warm up the engine for five minutes to help the oil flow out, watch out you don't burn yourself.

oil03.jpg

oil04.jpg

Before removing the old filter cover the headers with a rag to keep oil off them

oil05.jpg

oil06.jpg

oil07.jpg

oil08.jpg

Screw the new filter on, careful not the cross thread, and torque to (7ft/lbs for 98-01, or 22ft/lbs for VTEC).

oil09.jpg

Tread the drain bolt back on, new washer if you have one, and torque to 22 ft/lbs, again don't cross thread the bolt.

Screw off the filler cap and insert your funnel, put in 3 quarts and check the level in the window, fill it to the top line. Then put the cap back on (Your not done yet) start the motor and let it run for a little while, enough time to let the oil pump fill the new filter and circulate the oil all over the engine. Then turn it off and wait a few minutes and check the level again, fill to to between the marks on the sight glass. Reinstall the fairings and your done.

filler.jpg

Guest mickbackroll

yes you dont have to remove any of the fairing! just use an extention on the filter rench and move away by pulling a bit on the front flexible part of the fairing (the small one beind the front wheel just in front of the motor)

you can manage to get the filter in and out that way!!! whatch for the pipe they are hot wait a bit they cool down faster then the oil, you will get a small mess but its easyer to clean than reparing a fairing, they always seem to be plague whith some kind of bad luck :blink: i always change my oil this way on my fvr 2006 since the mech did it on my first oil change at the dealer :fing02:

Guest mickbackroll

Regards,

Luckyman???

Tools

yes you dont have to remove any of the fairing! just use an extention on the filter rench and move away by pulling a bit on the front flexible part of the fairing (the small one beind the front wheel just in front of the motor)

you can manage to get the filter in and out that way!!! whatch for the pipe they are hot wait a bit they cool down faster then the oil, you will get a small mess but its easyer to clean than reparing a fairing, they always seem to be plague whith some kind of bad luck :blink: i always change my oil this way on my fvr 2006 since the mech did it on my first oil change at the dealer :fing02: