Helmet Comms

Guest SilverBullet_VFR

Guest SilverBullet_VFR

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting the Autocom Active + ($299 CDN), or Super Pro system ($399 CDN). Anyone currently using these? From what I can tell each system comes with everything you need for 2 people, same bike. All I want is to talk to the wife in 2-up and for us to listen to my MP3. Another question: Is it better to wire it into the bike, or is it hassle-free to keep it portable. I assume a 9v would last quite a while...

Thanks

If all you're doing is using it 2 up....I probably wouldn't go to the trouble of powering it thru the bike. Just my .02

The Autocom is a great system.....been using it for 2 years now. Using it in the 2 up mode was no problem whatsoever.......going bike to bike there were a few issues to work out.........but any comm system would have this.

The 9V does last a while. In the 2 up mode, I would say you could get 4-5 complete days out of it....although I never let it die completely to find out.

If you get one, you won't be sorry.

Guest SilverBullet_VFR
If all you're doing is using it 2 up....I probably wouldn't go to the trouble of powering it thru the bike. Just my .02

The Autocom is a great system.....been using it for 2 years now. Using it in the 2 up mode was no problem whatsoever.......going bike to bike there were a few issues to work out.........but any comm system would have this.

The 9V does last a while. In the 2 up mode, I would say you could get 4-5 complete days out of it....although I never let it die completely to find out.

If you get one, you won't be sorry.

Thanks. Was it easy to install speakers/mics in the helmets?

Thanks.  Was it easy to install speakers/mics in the helmets?

That depends on your helmet....but I would assume most helmets these days allow you to get into them pretty easily.....we have a Shoei and an Arai and both of those were pretty easy. Just take your time and don't be in a hurry and you'll end up with a nice installation. Autocom emphasizes the importance of placing the microphone and speakers correctly in order to get the best performance.....which I found was easy to do.

Its amazing how clear the communication is between you and the passenger. You'll enjoy it.

• Member Contributer

rmcobb-

Curious to know which model Arai you use? Have thought about doing something like this myself, but worried about the wind noise in my RX-7 Corsair drowning out the audio. :unsure:

rmcobb-

Curious to know which model Arai you use?  Have thought about doing something like this myself, but worried about the wind noise in my RX-7 Corsair drowning out the audio.  :unsure:

The Arai is used by my wife, and IIRC it is a Signet model...the one that is based on a profile shape instead of the round shape.

As long as you place the speakers appropriately (close to the ear and positioned correctly) they are pretty clear...at least the Autocomm ones are. I've used it with and without ear plugs and wind noise hasn't been a problem in my Shoei....and the wife has never had a problem with her Arai. We use ear plugs pretty regularly now which seems to drown out the wind noise and we can hear pretty well. You would think having ear plugs in would make it worse....but it actually makes it better.

• Member Contributer
The Arai is used by my wife, and IIRC it is a Signet model...the one that is based on a profile shape instead of the round shape.

As long as you place the speakers appropriately (close to the ear and positioned correctly) they are pretty clear...at least the Autocomm ones are.  I've used it with and without ear plugs and wind noise hasn't been a problem in my Shoei....and the wife has never had a problem with her Arai. We use ear plugs pretty regularly now which seems to drown out the wind noise and we can hear pretty well. You would think having ear plugs in would make it worse....but it actually makes it better.

You anticipated my next question re. ear plugs. Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

Archived