Autocom Bike-to-Bike

briguy_78

• Member Contributer

I recently purchased an Active-7 Smart system from Autocom and want to add Bike-to-Bike. The folks at Autocom highly recommend getting the Kenwood FreeTalk radios. Based on my use (mostly close proximity communication), I was told that all I needed was a 1/2 watt radio.

What have others experienced using the Kenwood radios, should I spend the extra $$ and get a 1 or 2 watt radio? Anybody have recommendations on where to pick them up for a good price or whether you've had a good experience with different radios?

Thanks,

Brian

Guest steves1150
I recently purchased an Active-7 Smart system from Autocom and want to add Bike-to-Bike.  The folks at Autocom highly recommend getting the Kenwood FreeTalk radios.  Based on my use (mostly close proximity communication), I was told that all I needed was a 1/2 watt radio. 

What have others experienced using the Kenwood radios, should I spend the extra $$ and get a 1 or 2 watt radio?  Anybody have recommendations on where to pick them up for a good price or whether you've had a good experience with different radios?

Thanks,

Brian

You are going to love the Autocom...I have been using one for about six years now and run my radar, XM, and Kenwood thru it. You'll be happiest with a watt of power I believe.

YMMV,

Steve in So Cal

• Member Contributer

I use the Midland GXT500 they are 5watt but you need a GMRS license ($80 App fee) I love them I have not used them on the bike yet. They come in a pack of two for around $70 with the rechargeable packs and the dual charger. One of the big features I like is they also take AA's so if I am on a long run and the Nicads die I can swap with alkalines.

I use the Midland GXT500 they are 5watt but you need a GMRS license ($80 App fee) I love them I have not used them on the bike yet. They come in a pack of two for around $70 with the rechargeable packs and the dual charger. One of the big features I like is they also take AA's so if I am on a long run and the Nicads die I can swap with alkalines.

Amazon has the midlands for 42 :deer:

Not a bad price for a 14 mile range.

• Member Contributer

Well on the ocean you might see that range but real world is less I get between 2 and 7 miles average occasionally I can get reception further out but it is rare. $42 is a great price but that is just the radios if you want battery packs and charger it is a little more.

Archived