Auxiliary pillion mount luggage setup, on the cheap.

vfrgiving

I'm quite pleased how this arrangement worked out, as it was a last minute setup before riding cross country.  In the past I've strapped all manner of dry bags to the pillion with varying results.  Last trip in April was a roll top duffel that worked, but I ended up fighting with it moving around and it made getting into the panniers annoying.

Another reason for this change was taking heated gear with me.  Heated gear can be a bit fragile and isn't particularly fond of being wadded up under compression.  I've had wiring joints internal to the fabric come apart.  Folding them up nicely in a self supported tote fixed this potential problem. I was also able to put some heavier spares (stator) in the bottom before putting the gear above.

This is a 5 gal, $10 Craftsman tote from Lowes that is held firmly in place by Rok straps in a X arrangement on either side.  The cutouts in the tote where the straps are looped were already there, I didn't need to modify anything.  Now having a flat surface to work with, I was able to Bungie net some camping gear on top of the bin.  I didn't have to fight with this setup moving about and getting into the panniers wasn't a problem.

IMG_20231018_113250_(1080_x_2400_pixel).thumb.jpg.5dc3d35dfc5a2546bb0fc64e5a4e63f4.jpg

• Like 4