Mounting additional instrument controls on my '88 VFR750

Skipper

• Member Contributer

During my current restoration project I kept comparing existing accesories with my BMW F800ST and thus decided I wanted both heated grips and the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Just where to put them so they were visible to the rider, yet neat and tidy, like perhaps Honda might have done.

What I came up with met my requirements and it was relatively simple and has no issues to compromise structural or electrical integrity (like holes drilled through the Triple clamp or wiring that is going to be damaged with riding over time.

I cut a steel plate from 3mm (1/8th thick) flat plate which starts at the back / below the triple clamp, picks up the two (now longer) screws that hold the plastic cover on top triple clamp (see photo) and protrudes forward to create new mounting positions for both new instruments. There is a large cut out in the middle of this one piece bracket, starting from the back, coming to just short of front to allow clearance around the main switch/ steering lock to aid mounting of the bracket without removing anything. You can just pick it out on the left side of the bracket below the TPMS as a vertical line (the plate is painted mat black). The front crosses over in line with the bottom of the instament panel and returns back under the cable outlet from the Oxford heated grip controller. In fact the only compromise I had to make was to cut a pathway top and bottom under the plastic cover to allow the cable a free passage. The second photo shows the cable coming out to the bottom, slightly right of centre on the cover and from there it is routed across and under the top triple clamp. Now forward and through the existing fairing mounts, across under the headlamp back to the poximity of the fuse panel to couple up with other wires.

The new, longer scews are no more threaded into the upper triple clamp but pass through (by opening out the hole to clearance the screw shank) and  are now threaded into the mounting plate and a Nylock nut below that for security. Maximum movement of the handlebars is un-effected by these new additions and I feel visibility of both devices should be very acceptable when riding. Charging of the TPMS is facilitated by the addition of a suitably sized hole through the mounting plate to allow the magnetic charging conector to pass through, and my (as yet untested) thinking it that I shall permenantly connect this cable to a USB port, such that whenever the bike is being ridden, the device will be getting charged?

IMG_3358.jpg

IMG_3364.jpg

Archived