Winter Mods

tom.gessner

After picking up my 8g end of November, I wanted to install some mods b4 next season begins:

- Lithium battery

- PowerCommander

- Radiator guard

- DAM exhaust

Here are some pics:

e16d81d509721d81cb253daa0f33e5a8.jpg

87447000f4dc2327bf2534005411df4e.jpg

c8826791572be67eb3d39382ca59ba3f.jpg

Although the bike is new and comparsions are difficult to make, it seems that the PC5 does make a noticeable difference in the low and mid-range power delivery (notwithstanding a proper comparison once the engine is broken in, of course).

Exhaust and battery shaved around 5kg weight off the bike, which is probably even more important than the torque gain.

Panniers have finally also been delivered, so the bike is ready for some serious sports-touring in the Alps next year!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, tom.gessner said:

After picking up my 8g end of November, I wanted to install some mods b4 next season begins:

- Lithium battery

- PowerCommander

- Radiator guard

- DAM exhaust

Here are some pics:

e16d81d509721d81cb253daa0f33e5a8.jpg

87447000f4dc2327bf2534005411df4e.jpg

c8826791572be67eb3d39382ca59ba3f.jpg

Although the bike is new and comparsions are difficult to make, it seems that the PC5 does make a noticeable difference in the low and mid-range power delivery (notwithstanding a proper comparison once the engine is broken in, of course).

Exhaust and battery shaved around 5kg weight off the bike, which is probably even more important than the torque gain.

Panniers have finally also been delivered, so the bike is ready for some serious sports-touring in the Alps next year!

Nice work Tom - does the Power Commander claim to make any additional power or is it primarily to smooth the delivery of power with your new exhaust?

Thank you, Greg. I think it is safe to say that the increase in top-end power is neglectible. Where the PC helps is the mid-range power where it cures the bike's lean fueling.

Well, at least this is my experience after a handful of PC projects and some dyno-runs - none with VFRs, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Does the bike run cooler with the Power Commander?

Which map did you use?  On the power commander website it only lists stock exhaust/stock air filter, arrow slip-on/stock air filter, and arrow slip-on (db killer removed)/stock air filter.  I assume the Arrow is basically the same as any other aftermarket exhaust - is that true?

I would think so.  All those slip ons are basically straight through w/ some packing inside a canister.   I can't imagine there is a significant difference other than cosmetics.   For our purposes I'd think it's close enough.  I hope so, because I just bought a PC 5 and will be limited to the same three choices you are.

I would think so.  All those slip ons are basically straight through w/ some packing inside a canister.   I can't imagine there is a significant difference other than cosmetics.   For our purposes I'd think it's close enough.  I hope so, because I just bought a PC 5 and will be limited to the same three choices you are.

Well said. In the case of the 8g, it appears that the headers and collectors play a bigger role than the canister with regards to performance. I am using the Arrow map, assuming it is close enough for my DAM exhaust.

Too early to tell if the bike runs cooler. I will have to wait until the roads are snow and salt free to answer that question.

The bike would definitely run cooler these days with temperatures ranging around -6 degrees Celsius in Munich...

Archived