Replacing Mirror

Guest BrendanM

Guest BrendanM

I broke the righthand mirror on the bike - walking by the by the bike, my coat sleeve caught the mirror and it snapped off !! I have the replacement parts but I am having a lot of difficulty getting the rear mounting stud back in place. Has anyone else replaced a mirror and had the same issue?

Thanks all

Brendan

I broke the righthand mirror on the bike - walking by the by the bike, my coat sleeve caught the mirror and it snapped off !! I have the replacement parts but I am having a lot of difficulty getting the rear mounting stud back in place. Has anyone else replaced a mirror and had the same issue?

Thanks all

Brendan

I didn't have any trouble removing mine,did you take off the black plastic cover right below the bolts to access the two spade connectors for the turn signal. That stud should slip right into that hole without a problem. Maybe when your sleeve caught you threw something out of alignment on the mating end. Take the other side off and you will see how easy it fits back into the holes.

Thanks Mike

Yes, I did remove the cover and I have disconnected and removed the old assembly. It came apart easily enough ....... just can't get it to align properly. I'll try the other side ... worst case, I'll have a matched pair of mirrors .. just not on the bike :o)

Thanks Mike

Yes, I did remove the cover and I have disconnected and removed the old assembly. It came apart easily enough ....... just can't get it to align properly. I'll try the other side ... worst case, I'll have a matched pair of mirrors .. just not on the bike :o)

The piece the mirror mounts to is pretty sturdy so I wouldn't think that you also bent that piece. You could take the opposite side mirror off and match the studs up to the new mirror to see if they align, I'm assuming they would be the same here. There is always the chance you received a defective mirror from your Honda dealer. How much is it off 1/2 a hole, more,less?

Yup, it looks to be about that much out of alignment. I tried to pull the bodywork up a bit but it still doesn't align.

I use my mirrors more then turning my body to see if things are all clear so I would want that mirror back on. If you can access the hole from the top take a file and start opening the hole until it fits if that is possible. Cheat on the other hole too if you don't want to make the one hole to big. You won't even notice it was done after putting the cap nut back in place.

I assume you have done a measurement of the mounting hole center-to-center on both the mirror and the mounting bracket? That would tell you whether it should fit or not.

Stud-to-stud distance is correct as they do go through the top mounting plate, its just that the rear stud (closest to rider) doesn't pass through the bottom plate. Since we are having monsoon rains here, I'll spend some time in the garage looking at it again tonight. Thanks for the input.

• 2 weeks later...

How many Duhs are you allowed in a lifetime? I think I'm running low :o) So, I finally figured out the issue. My bike has the windscreen extension and the rear bolt has to be longer to accommodate the mounting plate ... I swapped the old (longer) bolt in and the mirror is back in business. Sheesh !!

Archived