Windjammer Ii.2 Review

Guest tpierce(MP)

Guest tpierce(MP)

Something that has always annoyed me when riding is the amount of windnoise i get in my helmet. I ride with a Shoei Rf1000, which is known for being a pretty quiet helmet. BUT, even with that, i nearly go deaf riding with no ear plugs and could with as loud as i have to crank up my ipod to hear it on the highway. After riding my dad's DL650 with a Givi screen and being able to ride in silence on the highway, i knew i had to do something. It was down to either sell the bike or make the ride quiet. Even with MY Givi touring screen on the VFR, it was way too much noise. I'd read somewhere about the windjammer, i'd put my hands under my cheeks while on the highway and enjoyed the silence, so i finally bit the bullet and went for it. BEST $22 I EVER SPENT.

With the exchange rate, it was $22-23 us and it took about a week to get here. Installation too a few seconds, but was pretty easy. First ride i did with no hearing protection and was amazed. Nearly all of the thumping and turbulence noise was gone. All that was left was the quiet noise of the air moving around the helmet. I love it. I even put back on my stock windscreen (which is on the bike currently) and rode, even quieter i think, mostly due to the more clean airflow (i'm thinking i'll buy heli-bars, then re-install the Givi screen). Seriously folks, if you are tired of the windnoise in your helmet, BUY ONE. I can actually hear my exhaust when on the highway now (and i have staintunes...).

A few crappy pics of it on my helmet:

1016081040a.jpg

1016081042a.jpg

As you can see, the hole does look kinda small, and it is. It's a little odd putting it on at first because it is a tight fit, i've gotten used to it.

Link to their site:

Proline

• Member Contributer

I've been struggling with the wind noise issue also.

So based on your short review, I just ordered a windjammer II.

I ride all winter, so I imagine this will help with the temp factor as well...

Thanks for posting.

how the heck is your head suppose to fit through that :goofy:

Dunno, but he sounds like a "born again" rider... :laugh:

:blush:

:mellow:

:laugh:

LOL, pull the straps apart like putting the helmet on like normal, it isn't that much different.

I've been struggling with the wind noise issue also.

So based on your short review, I just ordered a windjammer II.

I ride all winter, so I imagine this will help with the temp factor as well...

Thanks for posting.

I think you'll be very happy with it. Let us know what you think about it when you do get it.

I had one on my RF1000, replaced it with a QuietRider instead. I found the QuietRider to be much easier to put on and take off when I did not want to use it, cooler and easier to get the helmet on my head.

Side note: for me the RF1000 was not a quiet helmet at all; it was the worst in head or quartering winds.

Ive been thinking of getting one for a while but had some questions about it. Being that it is so easy to install is it likely to fall off or constantly shift from the installed position from putting the helmet on and off? Can the piece be removed for warm weather riding with no issue and will there by any issues putting it back on when the cold weather returns months later? I also have an autocom system in my helmet, can I install the windjammer and have a place for the speaker/microphone cord to hang out? Thanks for the info,

Ive been thinking of getting one for a while but had some questions about it. Being that it is so easy to install is it likely to fall off or constantly shift from the installed position from putting the helmet on and off? Can the piece be removed for warm weather riding with no issue and will there by any issues putting it back on when the cold weather returns months later? I also have an autocom system in my helmet, can I install the windjammer and have a place for the speaker/microphone cord to hang out? Thanks for the info,

It won't fall off, and it is not really difficult to install. I found the neck opening to be very small for use in really cold weather when I use a baklava.

My suggestion, I know we are not made of money, buy one and try it, it may work for you.

• Member Contributer

You mentioned installation was easy, but exactly how it it attached to the helmet? I'm guessing there are velcro pieces that you stick on the helmet?

I also see there are some small holes in the front and rear of the material...so I suppose you could use those for routing wires for IPOD's, MP3 players, or for Autocomm or Starcom1 wires.

• Member Contributer
It won't fall off, and it is not really difficult to install. I found the neck opening to be very small for use in really cold weather when I use a baklava.

My suggestion, I know we are not made of money, buy one and try it, it may work for you.

Hmm... Rad, I never thought to use Greek pastry for warmth.

A balaclava on the other hand...

:mellow:

I'm off the to shoei site to see what they have...

-t

You mentioned installation was easy, but exactly how it it attached to the helmet? I'm guessing there are velcro pieces that you stick on the helmet?

I also see there are some small holes in the front and rear of the material...so I suppose you could use those for routing wires for IPOD's, MP3 players, or for Autocomm or Starcom1 wires.

It's held on by some type of tacky material. It's sticky like a sticker, but stays sticker and pliable, so you can take it on and off the helmet, leaving no residue or anything. it's totally reusable (as in you can take it off for a while if you don't want it on then put it back on when you do want it on, or you could transfer it to another helmet). No Velcro or anything needs to attached to helmet. It is also held on pretty tight with the elastic. It doesn't move once on. This also means you can get it wet (rain and such) and it'll still stay on.

I think the holes are vents. I run my ipod wires up the sides, by the chin straps as usual. no difference really getting them in than usual.

Hmm... Rad, I never thought to use Greek pastry for warmth.

A balaclava on the other hand...

:laugh:

-t

You don't know what you are missing; the fruit filled ones provide the most warmth, plus, you can eat while riding. :mellow:

As mentioned above, the thing is really flexible, i have no issues with my ipod wires hanging out. I don' think you'll have a problem.

I had one on my RF1000, replaced it with a QuietRider instead. I found the QuietRider to be much easier to put on and take off when I did not want to use it, cooler and easier to get the helmet on my head.

Side note: for me the RF1000 was not a quiet helmet at all; it was the worst in head or quartering winds.

I was trying to decide between the Windjammer and the quietrider. I ended up with the winjammer because i think it was $1 or so cheaper...

• Member Contributer

thanks for posting this! I just ordered one for myself. My Shoei helmet is loud as buckets! :mellow:

I have a quiet rider....and it isn't as quiet as I had hoped it would be (but it has helped). I may try this item and compare the results. Being able to warm my neck is an issue as well, I need a Balaclava with a thin top, and thicker neck area protection.

Being able to warm my neck is an issue as well, I need a Balaclava with a thin top, and thicker neck area protection.

That is what this is, I use one all the time. I tuck the thin head part inside the thick turtle fur part and use it just as a neck warmer on cool mornings. I pull the thin neck part out and use it as a Balaclava when it is really cold.

Aerostich backaclava

400797350_vr6cL-S.jpg

Archived