Nick Ienatsch 's The Pace

Baileyrock

• Member Contributer

The "street sport riding Bible"......the "Holy Grail of sport riding on the street"

:P :thumbsup: B)

Thank you, Bailey. Had never read that before, but great stuff. Thanks.

The BS's , was the one who posted the link in another form, I just copied it !

I switched to the PACE several years ago ! :thumbsup:

Just curious Bailey. Do you always ride the pace? I like to, but find I usually ride in squid mode with my homies.

Oh sure, call me on that ! <_<

Actually, we stay below 85 mph 95% of the time, but there's this one sweet section on our loop were we just let it fly. :P

• Member Contributer

We always ride the pace, too, but there is always at least one time in a ride where we just pin that bitch to the stops and let 'er rip.

I may get flames, but there is this stretch of Interstate north of North Little Rock that is B-O-R-I-N-G, and it is like 10 miles, 3 lanes, not a single car... no exits or entrance ramps. It's like Mad Max land or something. I think they built a better road, or maybe no one goes north of North Little Rock anymore, but its deserted. So last time we were on it, my buddy and I did a little top gear roll on test. My VTECH was showing 164mph in a tight tuck, and if I popped up a little bit, it would start ticking down to about 159 or so... Irresponsible? Probably. It was a test, OK!? For science!

Sidenote: That figure seems a lot higher that what you guys say your bikes will do, but I ain't lying. What gives? Remember, I am a scientist.

After reading that, I actually sent that to my home e-mail account. I am going to print off a few copies and its going out to my riding buddies when we see each other next.

I usually lead, and I am all for setting a Pace of this sort. I will cruise in two lane highway at around 60 (in a 55) but I don't like much faster than that. The author is right, it just attracts too much attention. I find it much more exhilirating to barely slow down coming into a corner, and getting on the throttle on the way out, much more than going as fast as I can.

Now, don't get me wrong, we all have :goofy: moments, but I prefer to ride knowing that I will make it home.

Later,

Jeff

• Member Contributer

Wow, I didn't realize that so many people were unaware of the Pace.

Bailey, maybe we should put a sticky/link or something for it on VFRD :goofy:

When I first read the Pace, I thought that it seemed like the smartest approach to riding sport bikes on the street.

The main group that I rode with was kind of attempting to do something along the Pace lines without actully knowing it, so when I discoverd the Pace it was like the Holy Grail :P There it was...already written out etc.

I had ridden the balls out as fast as you can into the corner style and actually was finding, as well as the rest of our group, that at the end of the day, riding the Pace style was more fun and lees stressful that what we had been doing.

Do we ever get on it and deviate from the Pace...sure(the last run up Mulholland from PCH I made didn't adhere to the Pace) but the majority of the time we use the Pace as a general guideline for our group rides.

Lewis, when we did the VFRD group ride back a few months ago the Pace that I led us at especially on the way up with the large group was definitely on the slow side of our normal Pace. On the way home we picked it up more and that would have been like a "medium" Pace version. Our quick Pace is faster than that. We tend to fluctuate depending on how big the group is and or how experienced everyone is etc. as well as if any of the group has ridden together(especially with a Pace style ride) and adjust accordingly B)

As I mentioned in the other thread that Bailey was refering to, we've got some addtional little tricks that we've added to our rides in terms of getting the most out of sport riding(corners) and using a bit of strategy to allow us to run the majority of corners at speed while avoiding traffic.

Wow, I didn't realize that so many people were unaware of the Pace.

Bailey, maybe we should put a sticky/link or something for it on VFRD :goofy:

When I first read the Pace, I thought that it seemed like the smartest approach to riding sport bikes on the street.

The main group that I rode with was kind of attempting to do something along the Pace lines without actully knowing it, so when I discoverd the Pace it was like the Holy Grail :P  There it was...already written out etc.

I had ridden the balls out as fast as you can into the corner style and actually was finding, as well as the rest of our group, that at the end of the day, riding the Pace style was more fun and lees stressful that what we had been doing.

Do we ever get on it and deviate from the Pace...sure(the last run up Mulholland from PCH I made didn't adhere to the Pace) but the majority of the time we use the Pace as a general guideline for our group rides.

Lewis, when we did the VFRD group ride back a few months ago the Pace that I led us at especially on the way up with the large group was definitely on the slow side of our normal Pace. On the way home we picked it up more and that would have been like a "medium" Pace version. Our quick Pace is faster than that. We tend to fluctuate depending on how big the group is and or how experienced everyone is etc. as well as if any of the group has ridden together(especially with a Pace style ride) and adjust accordingly B)

As I mentioned in the other thread that Bailey was refering to, we've got some addtional little tricks that we've added to our rides in terms of getting the most out of sport riding(corners) and using a bit of strategy to allow us to run the majority of corners at speed while avoiding traffic.

Good idea, I'll see if we can link it some how !

Guest dduelin

Ienatsch compiled a number of articles from his writing and editorial stints at Motorcyclist, Sport Rider, Sportbike, and Cycle World magazines in a 2003 book titled Sport Riding Techniques - How to Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety and Confidence On The Street and Track. The Pace is the last chapter. The book is a good read and I highly recommend it.

Ienatsch compiled a number of articles from his writing and editorial stints at Motorcyclist, Sport Rider, Sportbike, and Cycle World magazines in a 2003 book titled Sport Riding Techniques - How to Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety and Confidence On The Street and Track. The Pace is the last chapter. The book is a good read and I highly recommend it.

Agreed, I've read it and it's great ! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

:beer: it's my favorite technique etc. book.

The last chapter you mention where he does talk about the Pace is different than the original Pace article....it's almost like an addendum B)

Everyone should have that book too!

• Member Contributer
Lets make sure we don't violate any copyright issues before posting it. I hope is says, feel free to distribute.

Good point, but I do know of atleast three or four forums that it's posted as a sticky on. Not proof that it's O.K. but one could assume that if it wasn't they would have been told to remove it by now?

I might be able to find out if it would be O.K. for sure if needed?

• Member Contributer
:beer:  it's my favorite technique etc. book.

The last chapter you mention where he does talk about the Pace is different than the original Pace article....it's almost like an addendum B)

Everyone should have that book too!

I bought his book a couple of weeks ago, after seeing it mentioned here. Haven't set down and read it yet.

Guest Crazyjoe
Here's link to the "Pace"

http://canyonchasers.net/reference/the_pace.php

Thanks for the link The BS'r ! :beer:

That is the greatest article I've ever read. I just posted it in my Magna forum. At times I've tried to get my group to practice coming down the Cherohala without using brakes -- or to ride up to elevation. My brake lights work and they can verify that I'm not using mine.

• Member Contributer

Had to get to work so I didn't get to finish.

I've been working on an actual write up about this but haven't finished yet but here's the basic gist. Works well for us so maybe it will for others.

For reference, I'm all about corners(big surprise).....For me this is what I love most about riding.......by far.

So, this means that I want to take advantage of just about any curve in the road :P ........cars can and do create problems in this area <_< . If you get stuck behind a car or series of cars in the twisties chances are they will slow you down immensely thereby ruining your cornering fun.....which is just not acceptable :P

We use 3 different techniques to avoid getting stuck behind cars in the twisties.

#1 We all know and use this one......pass over the double yellow or use the passing lane to get around said car(s).

This works great much of the time, and we use it quite often.

Sometimes though this technique may not be all that practical for numerous reasons, i.e. no "safe" way to pass due to blind corners, road conditions, oncoming traffic, etc. as well as too many cars bunched up to be able to get around or not enough space for anyone other than the leader to get by and on and on.....oh, and that it's a nasty ticket if you get nailed in terms of passing over the double yellow.

So, assuming that Option #1 is not going to work at this point, here's the other two little strategies.

Here's the scenario: Some great corners are coming up but there are cars in front of you that you're not going to be able to get around(refer to previous paragraph)for one reason or another.

#2 The leader checks to make sure that there's no traffic approaching from the rear of the group, and basically just slows the group WAY down to allow the traffic up ahead to get even further up ahead as to create a gap. Once the traffic up ahead has been given enough time clear atleast some of the area, the leader can then pick up the pace and the group can rail through the corners.

This technique can be repeated as often as necessary(traffic from the rear permitting) to allow a sporting pace in the corners where the fun really is. Essentially the group is sacrificing the straights for the corners.

#3 is really just an extreme version of #2.

If the situation is such that there's either: 1) just too many cars up ahead and are going so slowly that regardless of how much the leader slows the group down, you're still not going to get to enjoy most of the corners...or 2) if there's just too much traffic behind for the leader to be able to slow the group down without causing problems for other motorists behind the group............. The leader just pulls the group off the road onto the shoulder and waits until the road ahead clears out enough to be able to run through the twisties at speed. Sometimes we wait for a very short period of time, sometimes for a minute or two, i.e whatever's required to give the group a "gap".

We use these little "tricks" all the time as needed in conjunction with our "Pace" style ride and find that, if done right our group is able to enjoy quick cornering speeds in almost all the corners on our route for that day.

I apologize for being a bit wordy but hope that it makes some sense.

For reference, I'm all about corners(big surprise).....For me this is what I love most about riding.......by far.

Like minds my friend ! I've been using all three for years myself ! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
Like minds my friend ! I've been using all three for years myself ! :thumbsup:

"Like minds"......or is that "Simple minds"? :wheel:

Maybe we should do a sticky of the "Pace" and the "Corner/Traffic Strategies" to help spread the ideas around.

Kind of a "Street Strategies for the Sport Rider" sticky. Might be a cool thing to have in the "Riding Techniques" forum for everyone to refer to.

I think I might need to do a better job on the write up though :joystick:

I could take what I had begun before and redo some of what I did today and combine?????

Just a thought............

We sometimes have the lead rider pass the rolling road blocks, slow down until all can pass, than wick it on again. It doesn't make the cages very happy sometimes, but hey, they started it! :P

We sometimes have the lead rider pass the rolling road blocks, slow down until all can pass, than wick it on again. It doesn't make the cages very happy sometimes, but hey, they started it! :P

I've used the previous 3 methods - but this one ULEWZ, scares me a lttle. I'm not too crazy about becoming the punching tool of some pissed cager that doesn't like me slowing him down so my group can pass.

I'd use this one as a last resort. I'd also never do that in the States - you guys have the right to shoot at moving targets don't ya? :D