Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'cct'.
Found 2 results
Hi. So I am new too this group and this is my first post. Just wanted to tell you guys my experience with using manual cam chain tensioners. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. It all began when after riding my bike and getting it up to temp I stopped at a friends house and noticed a rattling from my engine. I thought maybe my chain was loose but I was not moving. After doing some research I found this site and quickly found out it was most likely may cam chain tensioner/s. I decided to go with the manual ones because the OEM ones tend to be faulty some times and i wanted to ensure my engine last for as long as financially possible. I was going to go with APE tensioners but switched over to PSR (Powerstands Racing) because they were in stock at MotoSport, a place I trust way more than Ebay. I was very impressed with the qualilty of this item and the effort taken to ensure top notch perfomance. It as neatly packaged and included the needed gasket, a key chain, and a PSR sticker. To set the stage for my endeavor I was working with a decent selection of tools and knowledge from past experiences with dirtbikes and what not. My garage not being the warmest place during New Engllands god awful winters was a steaming 33 degrees and my tools were about -4 according to my internal hand thermostat. The removal of the OEM ccts had to be the hardest part. It required removing the tank and airbox. I did not have enough time or knowledge to rip apart the throttle bodies just to get to the front one. With some finesse and muscle I was able to remove the front tensioner. After removal the PSR one was very easy to install and took minimal time. The adjustment bolt has a 14mm head and the mounting bolts are 10mm. After I installed it I torqued to the required hand tight spec and moved to the rear. The rear was 100x easier than the front, but by this time it was 12 am and I had work the following day. But I kept on cooking because I knew if I did not finish tonight I would never get it done till spring. After I installed both cct's with the help of a buddy and some monster it was time to adjust them. I had my buddy adjust the front tensioner as I adjusted the rear. Following other posts we loosened until cam chain noise and then tightened until noise went away but no further. In total it took me about 11 hours to change all my fluids and do the ccts. Minus a few breaks and mental cool downs. Plus my buddy didn't show up till 11:30. By 1 am ol' Smokey was back up and running with no cam chain noise just the sewing machine exhaust note. If you read up until this point I would like to just say Thank You and if you see anywhere I should improve or anything you think I did wrong please let me know down below. Thanks for reading and have a VFRful day.
I've been searching for threads regarding CCT replacement. I know they are out there - at point I thought I saw one pinned. Now that I'm about to tackle the front CCT.... can't find it. I read one from Tightwad and embedded in that was a pinned thread. Also just recently someone here had trouble with the timing chain slipping a tooth when the CCT was removed. So I want to be careful to avoid that. And yes - I should be able to find these threads..... Hence, Ridicule is widely accepted here..... Thanks, Ernie