Please Identify These

Skids

• Member Contributer

Can someone please identify the marked small screens either side of the dash of this 2001 VFR800 please? I have a good friend who has the same year model and it doesn't have these screens so I'm wondering if it is an import. The speedo is different as well.

Any help appreciated.  :beer:

1130691342_20211027_2013248328.jpg

• Member Contributer

Those triangles were a Honda update, because sun shining through the windscreen would melt the corners of the dash surround without them. I have a melted surround and one of these with the update pieces. 

• Member Contributer

I have similar, a bit melted area on the dash- - 

It's not uncommon on bikes, thing is to remember to cover the windscreen when stopping for a break or parking all day in the sun.

:cool:

20201123_173411-M.jpg

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, ducnut said:

Those triangles were a Honda update, because sun shining through the windscreen would melt the corners of the dash surround without them. I have a melted surround and one of these with the update pieces. 

Do you know which country/models those were seen on? I've never seen them in the UK before and when combined with the non-UK speedo, I'm wondering where else an mph speedometer with anti-melting panels would have come from. The bike looks like an import to me, just wondering from where.

• Member Contributer

Skids, check the VIN  they indicate country of sale. But MPH speedo, says USA, not many other places use MPH. Pretty sure Aus, NZ & Canada have been KPH since before the 5th gen. 

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, Mohawk said:

Skids, check the VIN  they indicate country of sale. But MPH speedo, says USA, not many other places use MPH. Pretty sure Aus, NZ & Canada have been KPH since before the 5th gen. 

Unfortunately I can't read the VIN in the video. I may ask the seller but I'm in no rush.

• Member Contributer

Beginning to look like a French import, chassis # JH2RC46D..... 

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Skids said:

Do you know which country/models those were seen on? I've never seen them in the UK before and when combined with the non-UK speedo, I'm wondering where else an mph speedometer with anti-melting panels would have come from. The bike looks like an import to me, just wondering from where.

I don’t have any idea who all got what. But, I’d think, those update pieces would’ve been worldwide. I worked for a Honda dealer back then, but, just can’t remember the details. 

• Member Contributer

From the Honda Parts Catalogues, it appears that the change was made as a mid-year update during the 2000 model run.  

My US Y2k doesn't have them; my UK '01 does.  They may solve the problem, but I think they look horrible, so I've bought a smooth one to replace the one on my '01.  (We don't have to worry about sun in the UK anyway!)

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, JZH said:

From the Honda Parts Catalogues, it appears that the change was made as a mid-year update during the 2000 model run.  

My US Y2k doesn't have them; my UK '01 does.  They may solve the problem, but I think they look horrible, so I've bought a smooth one to replace the one on my '01.  (We don't have to worry about sun in the UK anyway!)

Ciao,

JZH

Thanks m8, that's interesting but my m8's Fi-1 02-plate bike doesn't have them.  :unsure:

Archived