Restarting 2001 VFR800 Fi1 not started since 2009

wawasonqo

Hi Folks,

The motor of my 2001 VFR800 Fi1 hasn't been started since 2009.

The bike has a little less than 35,000 kms on the Odometer.

What preparatory measures should I take before attempting to start it?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

- Dump whatever fuel is in the tank. Throw some fresh fuel in slosh it around and dump that. Fill with fresh fuel. If you can remove the main fuel line from the tank, purge a couple of cup fulls of fuel via the fuel pump. A simple method is to have your kill switch to OFF switch on ignition, now operate the kill switch a couple of times to give the pump a couple of short runs.

- Replaced oil and filter.

- Check coolant level, probably will need replacing in the short term.

- Check the condition of the airfilter.

- Ensure you have a new/healthy battery.

- Once running measure your charging voltage at the Battery, idle and 5000rpm. Should be 13.5 to 14.5 odd volts.

- ASAP replace all Brakes and Clutch fluid.

- Check that engine settles down to 1200rpm idle speed when warmed.

- Shout it a new set of iridium spark plugs.

Perhaps others may be able to add to this.

Good luck with it.

16 hours ago, Grum said:

- Dump whatever fuel is in the tank. Throw some fresh fuel in slosh it around and dump that. Fill with fresh fuel. If you can remove the main fuel line from the tank, purge a couple of cup fulls of fuel via the fuel pump. A simple method is to have your kill switch to OFF switch on ignition, now operate the kill switch a couple of times to give the pump a couple of short runs.

Hi Mate,

Hope things are better in your part of Danistan than Melb. or are there Thug Order Followers there also?

The Tank is off the bike and needs to have Surface Rust removed from the interior.

What was the reason for suggesting to purge a couple of cups from the tank?

I did some general searching before my original post and some people were advising to remove the spark plugs and put some oil in the cylinders via the spark plug holes to help prevent scouring of the cylinders by the rings.

I removed the Timing Cover and was able to turn the crank slightly without much effort.

Would that suggest that the rings have sufficient lubrication?

Off Topic: How does the 2014 compare to previous VFRs you've had?

Thanks!!

• Member Contributer
43 minutes ago, wawasonqo said:

What was the reason for suggesting to purge a couple of cups from the tank?

Just to ensure the pump is flushed out with clean fuel to minimize anything getting to the fuel rail, like off fuel or moisture.

I guess a small squirt of oil might help but given the V angle will it distribute evenly around the cylinder and rings? Be a good opportunity to fit the new plugs if you do this.

43 minutes ago, wawasonqo said:

Off Topic: How does the 2014 compare to previous VFRs you've had?

Here's just a short answer. Out of my three 6gens and now the 8gen. The 8 is by far the better bike.

- Better fuel economy, better brakes, lighter weight, all previous electrical issues resolved, addition of heated grips, ABS, traction control.....the list goes on.

I will say, you can always debate as to what is the best VFR, but I think the 8gen has proven to be the most reliable VFR.

Yes covid freedoms looong overdue are just around the corner along with the nice riding weather. My Lady in Red is ready to go.:wheel:

On 10/23/2021 at 5:16 PM, Grum said:

Just to ensure the pump is flushed out with clean fuel to minimize anything getting to the fuel rail, like off fuel or moisture.

Ok, well, given that there is a new pump waiting to go into the tank, I don't need to be doing that then.

An electrical question then.

With the tank off the bike and hence the associated cables for the pump, FI system and level sensor not connected, should the indicator lights function normally?

TA!!

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, wawasonqo said:

With the tank off the bike and hence the associated cables for the pump, FI system and level sensor not connected, should the indicator lights function normally?

Not sure I fully understand you "Fi system" not connected?

If you've unplugged both level sensor and fuel pump connector. With ignition to on can't see why it would effect your instrument panel lights! Can you elaborate a little.

We are talking of a 5gen VFR, correct?

24 minutes ago, Grum said:

Can you elaborate a little.

We are talking of a 5gen VFR, correct?

Yep, the last of the 5th Gen models.

The tank is off the bike. So, all electrical cables that make connections to the internal components of the tank are disconnected.

When I connected the battery, the LCD panel shows up the correct info and the FI (Fuel Injection System) light in the Lower Middle of the Dash is lit up in Red.

Previously, when I have run an electrical system check in this manner, the indicators sometimes function correctly but then stop blinking and remain on or off (need to check again about the on/off).

TA!!

• Member Contributer

Having the Fuel Pump and Level Sensor unplugged has No feedback to the ECM, meaning, that at only Ignition Switch On, the Fi light and all other indications should be normal. (Apart from fuel quantity). Do you have the Kill Switch in the RUN position?

If your Sidestand is Up and the Fi light is ON this may indicate you have a fault code present.

Lower the the Sidestand switch on the ignition Kill Swith to Run - are you now seeing a flashing fault code from the Fi light?

10 minutes ago, Grum said:

Having the Fuel Pump and Level Sensor unplugged has No feedback to the ECM, meaning, that at only Ignition Switch On, the Fi light and all other indications should be normal. (Apart from fuel quantity). Do you have the Kill Switch in the RUN position?

If your Sidestand is Up and the Fi light is ON this may indicate you have a fault code present.

Lower the the Sidestand switch on the ignition Kill Swith to Run - are you now seeing a flashing fault code from the Fi light?

Too windy and hence dusty outside to check at present.

However, when I "tested", the Sidestand is down and the bike is resting on it. Will check again tomorrow morning or maybe later this evening if I can.

Hasta pronto, TA!!

On 10/25/2021 at 5:39 PM, Grum said:

With the Bike still resting on the Side-stand and the Kill Switch in the Run position, the FI light briefly comes on and then goes off when the Ignition Key is turned to the On position.

With the Kill Switch in the Kill position, the FI light stays illuminated in Red.

The Right Hand indicators Blink correctly when the Indicator Switch is pushed to the Right.

The Left Hand indicators do not Blink correctly unless the Indicator Switch is kept pushed to the Left.

Attached is an image from the Service Manual for when the FI light remains lit.

PGM-FI-Self-DiagnosisMalfunctionIndicatorCodes.png

• Member Contributer
40 minutes ago, wawasonqo said:

With the Bike still resting on the Side-stand and the Kill Switch in the Run position, the FI light briefly comes on and then goes off when the Ignition Key is turned to the On position.

With the Kill Switch in the Kill position, the FI light stays illuminated in Red.

The Right Hand indicators Blink correctly when the Indicator Switch is pushed to the Right.

The Left Hand indicators do not Blink correctly unless the Indicator Switch is kept pushed to the Left.

Attached is an image from the Service Manual for when the FI light remains lit.

PGM-FI-Self-DiagnosisMalfunctionIndicatorCodes.png

Your Fi light operation is normal = off after fuel prime at switch on. Also correct is the Fi light fully on with thd Kill Switch activated.

The fact your right side blinkers are normal means there is no issue with the flasher relay. Your problem appears to be within the switch itself. Try spraying some switch lubricant or even WD40 into the switch and exercise it. This might cure it, if not you'll need to disassemble the switch repair or replace it.

Good luck.

13 minutes ago, Grum said:

You problem appears to be within the switch itself. Try spraying some switch lubricant or even WD40 into the switch and exercise it. This might cure it, if not you'll need to disassemble the switch repair or replace it.

Are you suggesting that WD40 can be sprayed into the Switch whilst it is installed on the handlebar?

Would it be better to uninstall it and open it first before applying some WD40 or manually cleaning it up some other way?

TA!!

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, wawasonqo said:

Are you suggesting that WD40 can be sprayed into the Switch whilst it is installed on the handlebar?

Would it be better to uninstall it and open it first before applying some WD40 or manually cleaning it up some other way?

TA!!

Ah yes..of course it would be better to strip it apart, inspect, clean and lubricate or replace if need be!

But yes you can just try squirting WD40 into the switch lever gap. This may remove any crud that might be causing your issue. And it won't cause any harm. If you can rotate the switch block by 90deg so the switch lever is facing upwards that would help the WD40 penetrate the mechanism.

Archived