Honda's New ST - NT1100

Skids

On 10/23/2021 at 12:44 PM, flya750 said:

Oh look... 650ib youtube channel ....someone crashed 200+hp Ducati......only a matter of time driving the way they do....ride and use your 150+ hp on country roads and expressways....YOU WILL scratch your bike. 😉 

Why I LOVE watching 650ib's videos... I would classify them as being "dumb as a shovel"....especially when they think that someone won't change lanes when you're flying up on cars going 180mph

I've ALWAYS said... the best part about riding a motorcycle is when you pull back in your driveway SAFE!!!!

Some of the dumbest and most irresponsible motorcycle riding I've seen in some time. Why in the world would anyone want to put their lives at risk like that? Stupidity comes in all shapes and sizes.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
38 minutes ago, vfrcapn said:

Looks gorgeous......but, it's Italian, and it's a Moto Guzzi 😬

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Well, my son did...

On his road bicycle :laugh:

(cos he's too lazy to maintain the chain like I taught him to)

I’d love to have a belt-driven, Rohloff-hubbed, steel-framed, final bike. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Grum said:

Wow she sure is a Bella Donna, very classy looking. Like to see her in the flesh! Better still, go for a test ride.

...and see the bike running for 12k miles before considering to buy!

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Grum said:

Wow she sure is a Bella Donna, very classy looking. Like to see her in the flesh! Better still, go for a test ride.

Maybe the sport touring category isn't dead after all...

Let's go Honda! 

• Member Contributer

Just watched the MCN launch review video on this, Blancmange  by all accounts. Another weak release by Honda, they should stick to cars now, as most of their  bike offerings are less than exciting, which is a shame 🤔 That said most other manufacturers are falling into that design dead end too. Heavy bland bikes are NOT the answer.

I find it incredible that most bikes today are approx 50Kg heavier than their counterparts were 20 years ago. In the 90's bikes got lighter they stayed there in the 00's but in the last ten years they have got heavier again, and far less interesting from the large manufacturers. The small ones have got some amazing machines out, with great styling. Honda needs to hire some of those designers.

Just my 2p worth. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Just watched the MCN launch review video on this, Blancmange  by all accounts. Another weak release by Honda, they should stick to cars now, as most of their  bike offerings are less than exciting, which is a shame 🤔 That said most other manufacturers are falling into that design dead end too. Heavy bland bikes are NOT the answer.

I find it incredible that most bikes today are approx 50Kg heavier than their counterparts were 20 years ago. In the 90's bikes got lighter they stayed there in the 00's but in the last ten years they have got heavier again, and far less interesting from the large manufacturers. The small ones have got some amazing machines out, with great styling. Honda needs to hire some of those designers.

Just my 2p worth. 

Their cars, now mostly with CVT’s, are the same. From about ‘92 and onward, they lost their way. To me, ‘82-‘90 was the Honda automotive heyday. 

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, ducnut said:

Their cars, now mostly with CVT’s, are the same. From about ‘92 and onward, they lost their way. To me, ‘82-‘90 was the Honda automotive heyday. 

I've driven a couple of non-Honda CVT cars,  and IMHO they suck.  Miserable driving experience.  I'm guessing CVT would be no different from Honda.  Honda has used DCT I believe in some Acura cages,  can't understand why they wouldn't  go thay way.  CVT can't be that much cheaper to make than DCT.  Well,  whatever Honda. Without a re-boot, your best days are behind you. 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Cogswell said:

I've driven a couple of non-Honda CVT cars,  and IMHO they suck.  Miserable driving experience.  I'm guessing CVT would be no different from Honda.  Honda has used DCT I believe in some Acura cages,  can't understand why they wouldn't  go thay way.  CVT can't be that much cheaper to make than DCT.  Well,  whatever Honda. Without a re-boot, your best days are behind you. 

Wow Cogs, really have to disagree here, I love CVT's!

At least I did when I was 11 years old, and my Tecumseh lawnmower engine powered minibike had one. That centrifugal clutch was a CVT, sort-of, right?

Seriously, I agree completely, the driving experience is lowest-common-denominator. But I do think that CVT is much cheaper than DCT.

• Member Contributer

Agree with Cogs here, I'd hate to be towing anything with a CVT, heard too many a sad story regards CVT's, perhaps the very newer ones might be better.

Also from what I've heard DCT's have been problematic in many European cars. Best auto trans is a torque converter type, that and a timing chain opposed to a belt were the two major reasons for buying Mazda cars. As always, YMMV.:fing02:

• Member Contributer
55 minutes ago, Grum said:

Well, at least you'd be able to drive as fast backwards as you can forwards!:wacko:

Yes, and it is [was a blast) maybe Dutchy can post some pictures of the DAF cars (in orange if possible) racing in reverse! These were the Good old days!

• Member Contributer
51 minutes ago, Wald said:

Yes, and it is [was a blast) maybe Dutchy can post some pictures of the DAF cars (in orange if possible) racing in reverse! These were the Good old days!

My parents had one of those DAF's when I was young.

They took it in for a tyre change and the fitter drove it off the end of the raised ramp cos he didn't understand the Variomatic controls. 😆

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, V4 Rosso said:

Haha, yes, those races were a blast 🙂

Thank you V4 Rosso, this video made my day. I recognized quite few cars there I used to tinker with or drive (not own though)

• Member Contributer

Went to the Motorcycle Live show in Birmingham today and had a look over the NT1100. TBH, I'm not holding my breath. It looks like a bloody scooter from the front, albeit a big one. I gather they're in showrooms for test rides in Jan 22 so I'll book one out and give it a try. Wasn't overly impressed with the Suzuki S1000GT either.

Saw a few other nice looking bikes though.

A Triumph Rocket III engined concept bike.

1554214035_20211206_1025461.jpg

654336949_20211206_1025531.jpg

A very nice Speed Triple 1200RR.

490392434_20211206_1043451.jpg

A beautiful Norton V4SV.

20211206_105621[1].jpg

And the Cafe Racer version.

20211206_105706[1].jpg

Then a couple of retro-Kawasaki's (Z900 foreground, Z650 background). I had 2 Kawasaki Z650's when I was a youngster and these reminded me of how much fun they were.

20211206_130000[1].jpg

Thanks for sharing those photos.  The Triumph and Nortons are gorgeous.

There are no indoor motorcycle shows in North America this winter, though there were some outdoor ones this fall.  As I may have said before, the first chance I'll have to see the new Honda and Suzuki ST bikes will be if and when they show up on a Big 4 dealer showroom floor.  And judging by what I expect will be low demand for these bikes, I don't expect most dealers will stock them.  😕 

I'd seen a photo of that new Speed Triple model elsewhere, and it looks terrific.  That big, ugly exhaust can looks really out of place on it, but I suspect Triumph and the other brands know the first thing buyers of bikes like this do is a tail tidy and swap out the OEM exhaust, so why spend money putting a nicer unit on it from the factory?

I also just did a little reading on the Norton.  I hadn't even heard about the latest attempt to revive the brand.  I also saw the prices for the V4SV bikes, and they are astronomical.  Good luck to the the part company, TVS, on the launch of the new bikes.  Hopefully enough very wealthy people will buy them so the company might eventually produce machines mere mortals like me can afford.

Archived