Helmets 2021

mello dude

• Member Contributer

My current Shoei RF1100 has seen better days, and I'm up for new helmet time. Been a Shoei guy for a long time but looking around I'm getting sticker shock (omg) ....I may go that way again,  but open for options...

Anybody gone new and what did you get? Like it?

• Member Contributer
31 minutes ago, Skids said:

Shoei GT-Air isn't exactly new, but I'm on my 2nd one. :beer:

Hey Skids. I purchased a GT-Air a while back, haven't used it much, its a quiet helmet, but bloddy hell, do the cheek pieces eventually soften off to make it more comfortable and easier to install and remove? I've gone back to my Shark Vision-R till its completely worn out, before going back to the Shoei.

Cheers

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Grum said:

Hey Skids. I purchased a GT-Air a while back, haven't used it much, its a quiet helmet, but bloddy hell, do the cheek pieces eventually soften off to make it more comfortable and easier to install and remove? I've gone back to my Shark Vision-R till its completely worn out, before going back to the Shoei.

Cheers

I believe you can buy different thickness pads for it. They offered me a fitting session when I bought my first and changed the padding to suit my head.

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, Skids said:

I believe you can buy different thickness pads for it. They offered me a fitting session when I bought my first and changed the padding to suit my head.

Hmmmm might have to look into that if the pads don't soften a little with use.

Thanks for the info Skids.:fing02:

• Member Contributer
25 minutes ago, Grum said:

Hmmmm might have to look into that if the pads don't soften a little with use.

Thanks for the info Skids.:fing02:

A little bit of payback for all your assistance. :beer:

Some places still have the RF1200 in stock, and many are discounted since the newer RF1300 has been on sale for a while.  I've seen them as low as $400, but I'm sure if you search you can find them cheaper than that, though you might not have a lot of choices for colors or graphics.

21 hours ago, mello dude said:

My current Shoei RF1100 has seen better days, and I'm up for new helmet time. Been a Shoei guy for a long time but looking around I'm getting sticker shock (omg) ....I may go that way again,  but open for options...

Anybody gone new and what did you get? Like it?

Have you looked at AGV helmets? I have a couple Shoei GT-Airs I wear most of the time. An Arai Corsair-V that makes me feel claustrophobic. I also have a AGV K3 SV that I like. What I really like is: It's not too heavy, the air vents really let the air circulate, it's not too loud on the inside, the ear space is larger than either my GT-Airs and the Arai. The K series is the line you want to look at. K1 is the bottom of the K series, the K3 is the middle of the K series, K5 is a step above the K3 and the K6 is the top of the K series. The graphics you see on my helmet below AGV doesn't offer anymore.

1778928083_20211021_2035071.thumb.jpg.c2db7e09ed0b16e8a05ee1b9780474da.jpg1531598118_20211021_2035231.thumb.jpg.d15b3897435b5f56df86b3fc89c9696a.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'm up to try AGV or even Arai. But need to find a way to try on, it's gotta fit and be comfortable.

• Member Contributer

I guess you better make a trip down to Iron Pony then........... if your wallet can stand it, try an AGV carbon fiber.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, raYzerman said:

I guess you better make a trip down to Iron Pony then........... if your wallet can stand it, try an AGV carbon fiber.

Yeah your right, an Iron Pony Columbus trip is in my future.... 

• 1 month later...

My current one is Shoei RF1300.

The Shoei RF1300 is a ventilated helmet that has been designed to help riders who need to do a lot of work in the air. The aerodynamic shape and wide vents provide excellent airflow, while the multiple removable chin bars and different sizes are perfect for different rider types.

It also comes with an X-Static liner that helps reduce noise, shield against UV rays, dust and allergens as well as keeping you cool and comfortable on long rides. It's also available in two shell sizes (S/M or L/XL) so you can find the best fit for your head size.

IMG_8802.thumb.jpg.6697de33a565975011693839191fb613.jpg

Just picked this up for $279. The photochromatic shield is $139 if purchased on its own. I haven't ridden in it yet but I will say it is not up to the same material quality as my RF1200. It is a lot lighter.

• Member Contributer

I've been a Shoei guy since the 1980s, but their helmets have gotten heavy and their prices have gone up considerably. I went to HJC in 2019 and never looked back. Everything about them is equal with the exception of the shields, which to me do not seem as clear. It isn't a problem, just an observation. The shields are a LOT cheaper. Venting is great and usability is superb with easy glove controls, easy shield removal/installation, and interior cleaning that is a breeze. They are WAY lighter than the Shoei comparable models. My head fits all of the "race" models, so X12, X14 and RPHA and even DS. Here are the three currently in the cycle for street, track, and off road. 

51bsSIxV7mL._SR600,315_PIWhiteStrip,Bott

HJC-RPHA-Unisex-Adult-Full-Face-RPHA-11-

Resized952021021795131815956747.thumb.jpg.c6f0a8bc9a3c7956c46f0642897da48b.jpg

The last few helmets I bought Scorpion and HJC, and were cheap but decent quality.  The problem is the Scorpion I have now is just too loud.  What's weird is it's the same model I had before and was happy with, but I think they changed the design a couple years ago.  Even with a chin skirt it's noticeably louder than my previous lid.  So I've been shopping on and off since this summer for another new helmet.

With the discontinued Shoei RF1200 models on sale or clearance in many places and online, I thought of picking one up when I saw a good deal.  But I've tried on that helmet a couple times and it always seems like the eye port sits low over my eyes, like the helmet is tilting forward.  I could probably attach a small pad in the forehead area to correct this, but I like a helmet to fit right from the start.  😕 

Archived