First year of VFR1200, 2010

Abbas

I am looking for my next bike and plan is to go with VFR1200. I have one available in local market of year 2010. As this was the first year for 1200, wondering what are the issues in this model that got fixed in later years. I have bad experience of buying the very first year of a model.

Second question is about after market exhaust. I heard there is a "science" in stock exhaust, back flow. How big of a deal if that muffler is not stock? Am I loosing anything not having stock exhaust?

Thanks

Abbas

• Member Contributer

The 2012 and 2013 models had upgraded programming and fuel mapping.  Some people notice it and others don't.  I have two 2010 DCT bikes and think they run great.  The older models also have traction control.

I purchased a 2017 VFR 1200X DCT.  One of my main motivations was to get the new DCT mapping.  That bike has three sport modes instead of one and is reported to run much smoother.  It doesn't.  The fueling on all the bikes is great except some minor jerkiness at low speeds which could easily be rider error.

The Akrapovic and Dam exhausts seem to be two of the most popular.  They both help the bike produce a bit more power and look and sound excellent.  I wouldn't worry at all about a bike not having the stock exhaust.  

Run the VIN through Honda's online page to check to see if the driveshaft recall was done.  

• Member Contributer

What he said!

Plus you can get the ECU flashed to smooth things out a bit more plus some other stuff.

Thank you very much Organian and Skids. Very good suggestion.

This will be my heaviest and most powerful bike so I will consider traction. But I know its more emotional than rational for me. Even if there is no traction but the price and feel is good, I will go for it 🙂

Thanks

Archived