Won't start after Stator & SH847 upgrades

Rainbows

Need troubleshooting. '02 6th Gen. 
Today I got to the SH847 and Stator upgrades!
Wired everything up correctly - checked twice and watched a few videos. Two wires - red and black to proper battery terminals & three wires, all yellow, to stator wires. Dielectric grease on the new mosfets.

Disconnected old R/R connector and sealed it up in case someone someday wants to use it.

Lights on, dash lights good. FI primes and light goes out.  Starter spins.. 

No fire!
No ignition. Not even trying. Just dead spinning engine.
What do I look for?

I have double checked all the other plugs that were moved or disconnected are now reconnected, clicked together and seated properly.

The bike started fine before I took it apart - the problem was a toasted stator not charging the battery.

• Member Contributer

Just curious...what stator upgrade?  Do you mean you installed a 2003+ stator and flywheel?

@Duc2V4 has done this one:

• Member Contributer

Try a start with the Side stand Up. Any change?

Also did you at any stage start the engine from cold for a minute or two, then shut the engine off, still cold? This can create a flooded situation the next time you try and start, just won't fire up. See attached flooded start procedure. Having the throttle fully open shuts off the injectors to purge the engine of excess fuel.

IMG_1011.PNG

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, Gebruiker said:

Not even a cough? Check the kill switch...

If the Kill switch was faulty = No Fuel Pump Prime, No starter cranking and Fi Light fully On.

• Member Contributer
30 minutes ago, Grum said:

If the Kill switch was faulty = No Fuel Pump Prime, No starter cranking and Fi Light fully On.

Got it. Sorry. On gen3 the bike will crank all day long if the kill switch is on (off?). Ask me how I know...

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Gebruiker said:

Got it. Sorry. On gen3 the bike will crank all day long if the kill switch is on (off?). Ask me how I know...

Ah ha, no problems Sir.:fing02:

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Rainbows said:

Problem solved - 

Power Commander ground wire not connected to battery. 

Reconnected and starts right up!

Thanks for the opportunity to troubleshoot!

Thats good news a simple fix.

Out of interest can you please post what the Battery voltage is at idle and at 5000rpm. Curious to see how well the SH847 series type R/R regulates.

Cheers.:beer:

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, Grum said:

Thats good news a simple fix.

Out of interest can you please post what the Battery voltage is at idle and at 5000rpm. Curious to see how well the SH847 series type R/R regulates.

Cheers.:beer:

I'd like to second the interest in how the 847 is working for you - with the overlay of how it is both cold and when hot.  In warm conditions and the fan running, the 847 seems to not even maintain battery voltage, but at start up turning the fan on seems to barely faze it.  Any input on that would be welcome. 

• Member Contributer

also interested in heat output. Can it be touched with bare hands after 30-minute ride?

Archived