8th gen Coolant: What are you using?

VFR80025th

I plan on a coolant change in spring.

On my 6th gen RWB I used Honda Coolant that I bought at the Honda motorcycle dealer. It was Blue. Can't remember if it was labelled type 2.

I assume that is the same as the Honda Type 2 coolant you can get at any Honda car dealership. Correct?

It needs to be silicates and borate free.

Thxs

• Member Contributer
22 minutes ago, mello dude said:

The Type 2 coolant (Honda Blue) from the auto dealership is fine, I've used it for years..

+1 The only stuff I've used in VFR's premixed and ready to go.

t2.jpg

• Member Contributer

Any of the Asian automotive (blue) coolants, found at auto parts stores, is acceptable. And, it’s way cheaper than the Honda-branded stuff. 

• Member Contributer

Same here as MD and Grum.  Anything with silicates will destroy the water pump seal in very short order. 

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, ducnut said:

Any of the Asian automotive (blue) coolants, found at auto parts stores, is acceptable. And, it’s way cheaper than the Honda-branded stuff. 

Are you sure about that ducnut? Can you be absolutely sure with a cheaper Asian blue automotive coolant that it has no silicates and borates, and that it also meets the Honda spec?

For an important job you may do every 5 years or so, is it really worth the risk in saving a few bucks?

Surely just having the confidence of using a known Honda spec coolant is well worth the extra?

I personally wouldn't take the risk.

As always YMMV.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, HareBrain said:

Hmm, I topped up the coolant a month or two ago with a small amount (about 0.2L) of coolant that I now realise contains silicates. Is that a small enough amount not to worry too much?

According to the Service Manual coolant capacity including reserve tank = 2.68ltr. 200ml is only 7.5%. Whether that could cause any long term issues, who can accurately say?

You could siphon the reserve tank then fill it with the correct stuff. There's a good chance none or very little has entered the main radiators.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Grum said:

Are you sure about that ducnut? Can you be absolutely sure with a cheaper Asian blue automotive coolant that it has no silicates and borates, and that it also meets the Honda spec?

For an important job you may do every 5 years or so, is it really worth the risk in saving a few bucks?

Surely just having the confidence of using a known Honda spec coolant is well worth the extra?

I personally wouldn't take the risk.

As always YMMV.

For Zerex (what I’m familiar with), it’s right in the first line of their product description.  I’d think most modern coolants would conform to modern requirements, but, YMMV. Always best to read the label, with any product. 

https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/antifreeze-products/zerex-asian-vehicle-antifreeze-coolant

9A7E30F5-B16B-4622-A8DA-F0839FD0C7DF.png

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I will stick with the Type 2 Coolant from Honda. (Blue)

I think  its even cheaper when you buy from an auto dealership or possibly online than a motorcycle dealer.

Ride Safe.

Archived