No More Don Guhl Tunes, The RPM Act

Okay, am I really the first to post about this? I feel incredibly late to this game, yet, I see no evidence in my searches on these forums of this... Correct me if I'm wrong.

Long story short, I picked up a VFR1200 a few months ago, and have been getting increasingly excited about the Guhl tune. I couldn't find any info on the web, so I gave Don a call. Guess what? As far as Don's concerned, this isn't something he offers anymore, regardless of the millions of dollars he's invested of equipment and software he has sitting around ready to go. Why? Because the EPA changed its laws stating that tuning a vehicle EVEN for race use, is illegal. Don also claims, it's not a small fee either, it's in the millions of dollars. He also mentioned, this isn't about tracking down those that have modified vehicles, they appear to largely be out of question. Yet those that offer the service of modifying in this manner are in the crosshairs of the EPA.

I asked Don, so, what can I do? He said really the only thing right now is the RPM Act that SEMA is sponsoring (again). Sign it, pray, and hope.

Want to be able to tune your VFR or ANYTHING else? Sign it here:

https://www.sema.org/epa-news

(Meanwhile, anyone got a copy of the ECU file? Hehe....)

• Member Contributer

ESG is in the process of ru(i)ning everything for us - including our lives.  Just a matter of time . . .

• Member Contributer

That is a real shame. 

The are other options to tune your 1200 though. There is a link in my signature to a guy called Stefan who can do the same as Don but remotely so you don't have to remove and send your ecu to him. 

Guess I need to edit Don out of my sig. :sad:

On 10/16/2021 at 12:31 AM, Skids said:

That is a real shame. 

The are other options to tune your 1200 though. There is a link in my signature to a guy called Stefan who can do the same as Don but remotely so you don't have to remove and send your ecu to him. 

Guess I need to edit Don out of my sig. :sad:

😞 Thanks for the tip!

• 4 weeks later...

After 3 (ok, really 11) years of waiting, and having not seen this thread, I finally decided last week to go ahead with a Guhl reflash and learned the same sad news from Don - even though I live in Canada.   So sorry I missed out on proceeding with this a couple of years ago when I first reached out to him.  I have, however, reached out to Stephan about the remote reflash.  Thank you so much for posting about that option, Skids!!  Fingers crossed because Honda wants $2400 CDN a new 2012 ECU 🤯

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, rubbersidedown said:

After 3 (ok, really 11) years of waiting, and having not seen this thread, I finally decided last week to go ahead with a Guhl reflash and learned the same sad news from Don - even though I live in Canada.   So sorry I missed out on proceeding with this a couple of years ago when I first reached out to him.  I have, however, reached out to Stephan about the remote reflash.  Thank you so much for posting about that option, Skids!!  Fingers crossed because Honda wants $2400 CDN a new 2012 ECU 🤯

Stefan will sort you out and you don't even have to remove the ECU. 

Archived