Is this fork leg bent?

Av8r

This is a friend of mine’s 3rd gen VFR. He was riding near his home yesterday travelling at 30mph when a fox ran across the road in front of him, he braked and swerved missing the fox but managed to run into the kerb (curb) on his right hard enough to twist the forks in the yokes (triple tree).

He bought it round to me with the bars pointing left when the wheel was straight and said it felt “hard” on the front. I’ve fixed many forks twisted like this so by undoing all bolts and bouncing the front end I’ve got everything straight again but it does feel very stiff, lots of stiction, when exercising the forks. 
The mudguard was removed as it had split in the left mounting bolt area to glue it back together, it was then I noticed the forks moving as in the video when compressing them (without applying the brakes). Is this normal or is the leg bent?

• Member Contributer

Audio only here too, in any case won't tell you much IMHO.  The only way you'll know for sure if the fork is bent is to disassemble it and roll the tube on a dead flat surface (or in a lathe).

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, raYzerman said:

Audio only here too, in any case won't tell you much IMHO.  The only way you'll know for sure if the fork is bent is to disassemble it and roll the tube on a dead flat surface (or in a lathe).

Or in a static wheel balancer.   Don't even have to fully disassemble the fork, just remove from bike.  It will be bent at the bottom of the lower triple clamp

Hmm. That’s weird, the video is showing and playing in my post. I used “choose files” “photo library” and selected it, took a little while to appear but it’s definitely there. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I’ll attempt to describe what’s happening.

Bike on main stand, front wheel on ground mudguard removed. Phone was on left side of tyre looking at right fork mudguard mounting boss. I pull the bike down by the upper fairing, the wheel stays stationary but the fork leg moves forward. I expected it to stay stationary like the wheel as the stanchion slid into the slider.

I’ll try uploading again, original file was 22mb this one is 20.9mb. 

• Member Contributer

How about a video across the wheel showing both fork legs as a comparison?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not following up this thread earlier.

Other side fork leg moved the same at the same time, not able to get a video as the owner took the bike back the evening before I was available to video it.

Archived