Frankenbolt / Frankenstein bolt

ariesblade

Hey guys,

New here and from across the pond. I own a 2000 VFR800Fi, i am addicted to.

My question is regarding the funky bolts that honda decided to put on the VFR originally. I do not own them, my bike came with a flush screwset with a flatscrew driver head on the bolt. But last summer i had a bag strapped to the back for a road trip and the bag kept sliding around. conclusion: i need them frankenbolts. the question i have is i saw on this topic someone suggested using the slimmer 'chique' bolts from a cbr 900RR i believe 93-98. Does anyone have any experience with this? and if so what parts are needed? just #18 or #13 + #14 + #18

Or if you have any other alternatives id love to hear them. The only way i can order them results in them costing 30 euros a piece so 60 euros for a set. (VFR bolt) seems a bit over the top for a bolt

1236888210_Screenshot2021-10-01at10_31_36.thumb.png.7b856de86663f4a48caaced88384bf19.png

• Member Contributer

CMSNL still has some, but you have to search the model year. I have successfully used stainless shoulder bolts from McMaster Carr. I think they are M6. But the bolt isn't the biggie, it's the sleeve. I just ordered 10 of them from CMSNL at 8.96 euros each. 

• Member Contributer

If you have limited economic possibilities you can try these, from Praxis:

origin.webp

You get 5 bolts for €1.89. So that would be, you know, cheaper. They fit fine and have the shoulders you’re looking for but unfortunately they’re not stainless.

• Member Contributer

I feel like someone just ordered the frankebolts for their 5g in a recent thread... have you searched?  I'm sure someone posted about them still being available sometime in the past month or so

(i bought a 5g in August so i've been tuned in a little more to those threads than just 6g)

12 hours ago, Ejphotos said:

These are cool, But the require you to drill out the thread of the subframe. I have looked at them before when i still had the seat cowl on. That is something i really do not want to do. I like keeping most things OEM and all the mods reversible if possible. Thats why im not drilling holes in my fairing for a USB socket, but mounting the HISS plate holder.

1 hour ago, rhoderage said:

I feel like someone just ordered the frankebolts for their 5g in a recent thread... have you searched?

Yeah i've really searched my butt off. I cannot find anything. might just be my search terms but 🤷‍♂️

21 hours ago, Jmmymc750 said:

it's the sleeve. I just ordered 10 of them from CMSNL at 8.96 euros each. 

What do you mean with the sleeve? I do not have a sleeve on my bike currently. So definitely missing that as well 👀

Its not that i cannot afford the bolts btw. It just seems a bit excessive to pay 30 euros per bolt. And i would like to know if the CBR bolts are worth it. cuz they dont stick out as far and apparently the finish is better on them. Still hoping someone has bought em 😄

4 hours ago, rhoderage said:

I feel like someone just ordered the frankebolts for their 5g in a recent thread... have you searched?  I'm sure someone posted about them still being available sometime in the past month or so

(i bought a 5g in August so i've been tuned in a little more to those threads than just 6g)

That was me. See my post from May 2 on this thread. Pics and part numbers included. 

• Member Contributer

The CBR900 parts you post are above are the same Honda part used on the RC51, which I recently purchased for an RC51 tail swap I am doing on my 5th Gen. In $CAD the retail price from Honda was Bolt $12, Spacer $5, Sleeve $6, so $46 for the full set or approx 30 Euros.

Honda Part #'s;

BOLT, SIDE COWL SETTING, 90116-KY2-700

COLLAR, SIDE COWL SETTING, 83642-KY2-700

SPACER, SIDE COWL SETTING, 83641-KY2-700

20 hours ago, jroberts427 said:

That was me. See my post from May 2 on this thread. Pics and part numbers included.

I read that. Wonderful read. And amazing work you put in to restore that baby. She looking real good! Fantastic work. As stated before the original frankenbolts i can definitely still get so thats not a worry.

@Dangeruss Did you swap the subframe too or just the cowls?

So for the original 5th gen cowl and subframe i need all 3 items you posted? bolt + spacer + sleeve?

• Member Contributer

The 'Blade (originally used on early CBR400RR NC23) rear cowl bolts are available in delicious titanium...

spacer.png

Fifteen lethargic UK pounds/pair: https://titanclassics.com/product/titanium-honda-fireblade-rack-bolt-fits-honda-rtv1000r-weight-7-4gm/

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Yes, the RC51 bolts are meant to install with the bolt, collar and spacer. I think the intent of the plastic spacer is to move the 'hook' of whatever you attach to it away from the paint. and the sleeve gives it something solid to tighten on. No reason you couldn't just use the bolt alone, but it doesn't have the extra shoulder to locate the panel like the original  VFR bolts. The sleeve serves that purpose.

For the RC51 tail I modified the aluminum RC51 subframe to fit the VFR. 

• Member Contributer

Here they are side by side, 5th gen part on the right. The 'shoulder' on the RC51 part is the sleeve that goes through the spacer to stop you from crushing it and the panel. The bare bolt looks like the one JZH posted above.

IMG_9005.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow up on this. I bought all 3, the bolt, spacer, and collar. And they do fit beautifully. Attached are photos of the CBR frankenbolts and also what i had before (flat screwdriver flushmounts

ABF7E69D-A86B-4B65-B1CA-6E273883786C.jpeg

306EC8C0-DDFD-4B7E-B964-5A9280BC52FF.jpeg

BC8E53F1-9124-4C43-9082-FB3F446C0E7A.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Just remember you need a spacer between the frame & the rear cowl to stop the bolt breaking the cowl plastics. Those slots above the bolt are for the Honda spacer or the rear seat hump cover. 

• Member Contributer

Honda still sells the fillers for those slots for when you aren't using the solo cowl. Serves as the spacer and fills the open slot. 

PLUG, RR. COWL, 77220-MBG-000 

They are about $6 each in Canada, so maybe $4 in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

@Dangeruss Yeah thanks. I was meant to order them together with the bolts. But forgotten. Next time i order up i will purchase them. I already knew they were still available. Someone was trying to sell a set for 15 euros excluding shipping :laugh: when they are still available for 4.50 a piece....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 10/15/2021 at 11:12 PM, JZH said:

The 'Blade (originally used on early CBR400RR NC23) rear cowl bolts are available in delicious titanium...

spacer.png

Fifteen lethargic UK pounds/pair: https://titanclassics.com/product/titanium-honda-fireblade-rack-bolt-fits-honda-rtv1000r-weight-7-4gm/

Ciao,

JZH

Oh Lordy, why did you show me this place?!   This could get expensive.

• Member Contributer
On 10/13/2021 at 3:35 PM, Ejphotos said:

tiny threadjack - I installed these a few years ago, drilling the threads out was almost a deal breaker (stock or reversible is my credo). Now - I'd do it again without reservation. I use the rear seat area as storage for a jacket liner, waterproof layers, a spare visor if I need it (2pc Sargent, leave the rear seat at home). Using the Sargent quick bolts makes that sooooo fast and easy and I can't overstate the convenience of having a small amount of actual storage on the stock bike without bags. 10/10 would do it again.  

17 hours ago, adkfinn said:

drilling the threads out was almost a deal breaker (stock or reversible is my credo).

This is where I am at now. I love the way the bike is now. And I do not wanna be drilling out threads, too destructive for me. I still have the flathead flushmount screws if I were ever to get my hands on a sargent, because the slots perfectly fit a 5 eurocent coin, and i always keep one in my wallet 😉

Archived