Red paint suggestions?

kise93

Hey guys, first post!

This is my "had ta lay'er down" post. Came out of a parking spot, turned, there was a patch of sand and gravel that I didn't see because it was dark (excuses), and the bike went down with me on it.

I'm safe. My armored jeans saved me. Although my knee hurt for most of the day. The pain has since dissipated. I can't say the same emotionally, but you're not my therapists so I'll stop boring you.

The consequences of my crash is as follows: precious got all scratched up, and the left indicator lens snapped its mount on the cowl. Also bar end weight is not straight anymore. clutch lever got bent out. Or in. Can't remember? It's straighter than it should be.

The left fairing mounting bracket was bent to crap when I peeled off the fairing (the latter was tight against the frame). Had a hell of a time trying to bend it back to "normal" and reinstalling it.

PXL_20211009_132411711.thumb.jpg.31d9c3dca690c31d9d32bb6f8ca3ec91.jpgPXL_20211009_131004867.thumb.jpg.fe895bd2667aeeb1272861ae5de27025.jpg245138870_437167521368482_3204833125238901355_n.thumb.jpg.b9ac18e196f11a1ce147066b42a99524.jpgPXL_20211009_130951734.thumb.jpg.29105c51040254d9f8436e8b7326afd9.jpg

^^^I put it back in its position while I was piecing the puzzle back together...

PXL_20211009_131019622.thumb.jpg.830d405bcc05e86a4c50d464c094e2fe.jpg

Peeling off the cowl shows it was that dropped before.

If you look at the pictures closely, looks like the previous owner had broken the blinker off before and glued it back together with what looks like green body fill or something, and my crash re-broke it.

Maybe it was green ABS cement, who knows. The lens' screw hole was also broken and previously fixed with some other kind of cement, with matchsticks inside for threading.

PXL_20211009_135708489.thumb.jpg.0c6c1045d28a6dfe7aceb5f4276a4a2b.jpg

Anyway, I set out to at least fix the tab and re-mount the blinker light. However, most of the "lip" on the inside broke off.

I plastic-welded the crack back up. The crack is still there on the other side, but it was fairly sturdy on one side so I didn't bother breaking the paint. Maybe when it comes time to paint I'll redo the weld, sand, and repaint the whole cowl, who knows. Then I welded the lens mounting tab back to its corner and called it a night.  Might try to put some fiberglass backing to fill in the gaps behind that lens.

245282707_238009451678650_5632717837043935005_n.thumb.jpg.9092800643d6febcf5abd38f2f675af7.jpg

No pictures of it, but I also plastic-welded the mounting tab after I patched that crack.

PXL_20211009_233008630.thumb.jpg.3282399eb3e3ef7ad68106a4e6343132.jpg

What's left for me to do is:

• Replace the bar end screw
  • Bend back/replace the clutch lever (it's still useable, but it's bent)
  • Fill in the blinker gaps
  • Paint the fairings

Anyway, I'm trying to find a rattle can close to R157 Italian Red. Colorite has product, but it's ridiculously expensive, and shipping doubles the cost.

I figured it might be worth to drop the cash on a new set of fairings too... Not convinced since all of them are compression-molded.

Internet finds from the SH forum

-Dupli-Color Chrystler Flash Red

-RustOleum Chinese Red

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

K93

• Member Contributer

I’ve been using 151 Red, it gives a decent gloss too

6E3ED228-2B9F-4B12-949B-80686A656736.jpeg

• Member Contributer

You're not gonna want to hear this, but color rite if you want it to match closely.  It's really high quality too, hence the cost.  I went through many cans restoring my "no longer available" plastic parts and it is a very good match against new R157 plastic parts I pulled right out of boxes last year.

One can of primer, base, and clear should do a side fairing.  Two cans of color and clear to do plenty more.  Compare that to the cost of Chinese fairings...

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, kise93 said:

Thanks for the suggestions guys; I'll see what Sherwin Williams has to offer for paint match and consider all the options.

Might give in to Color-rite. We'll see!

Sherwin Williams?  I think they are just House type paint.  Maybe they have an aerosol selection? 

Edit:  I do see that they have Aerospace coatings, but I don't think it's small batch type stuff.

4 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Sherwin Williams?  I think they are just House type paint.  Maybe they have an aerosol selection? 

Edit:  I do see that they have Aerospace coatings, but I don't think it's small batch type stuff.

Yes, I was surprised to see that they have an automotive branch 3 minutes away from my workplace so I figured I could give them a shot. They mix up paint and do custom canning given the paint code. Reviews seem positive too!

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, kise93 said:

Yes, I was surprised to see that they have an automotive branch 3 minutes away from my workplace so I figured I could give them a shot. They mix up paint and do custom canning given the paint code. Reviews seem positive too!

Far out!   I'm gonna look around my area, but I don't think the Sherwin Williams around here does anything like that.  Never heard of it referenced that way.

Wesco Autobody Supply is our local place in Washington State that will mix and can for you.

• Member Contributer
On 10/11/2021 at 10:38 AM, ShipFixer said:

You're not gonna want to hear this, but color rite if you want it to match closely.  It's really high quality too, hence the cost.  I went through many cans restoring my "no longer available" plastic parts and it is a very good match against new R157 plastic parts I pulled right out of boxes last year.

One can of primer, base, and clear should do a side fairing.  Two cans of color and clear to do plenty more.  Compare that to the cost of Chinese fairings...

I'll second that.  I used their rattle can base / clear on my wheels - it does do a nice job.  Way better than the typical consumer spray paint.  However, like other rattle can air dry paint, it will chip more easily than a urethane base / clear that is catalyst hardened.  I used some of colorite's primer on a yet to be finished project, and that stuff is as tough as nails.  If you're painting components that will be exposed to road rash, the catalyst hardened paint is the way to go.  Otherwise using the rattle can you might find yourself repainting the piece every so often. 

• Member Contributer

I shoot 2K (2 part user activated can) clear over Color Rite all the time with no interaction issues.  You get the color you want and the durability, comes out great.

Archived