VFR's New Riding Season Home

Calculon

• Member Contributer

After a change in our garage space footprint last year I was having trouble figuring out where to store the VFR.  Finally decided on a Cycle Shell and it's been great.  Fairly quick to open and close and the bike is well protected from the elements.  I can even store the bike with the luggage attached and unlike a bike cover I can put the bike away hot.

cycleshellclosed.jpg?width=960&height=72

cycleshellopen.jpg?width=960&height=720&

The base is a very durable plastic with diamond plate for the kickstand, center stand and under each tire.  Only the kickstand plate is mounted to the base when you buy the other three you have to measure out to match your bikes configuration.  There are holes for anchoring the shell to the ground or asphalt.

This wasn't the solution I wanted, I was looking to build a shed alongside the house or even add onto our garage but because of the additional cost and difficulty with building too close to the property line this became the next best choice.  The bike will be stored in the garage during winter but for easy access and a nice protective home in the summer I'm pleased.

There are three different size Cycle Shells, I bought the mid-size which is around $600... I've actually forgot the exact cost but you can find it on their website.

• Member Contributer

I like it.  There was a used one for sale around me a few months ago and I tried to convince my friend it was perfect because he leaves his 2002 VFR with Luggage outside a lot because of it's size.  But my friends are stupid and can't see past their front fender about the benefits of spending a couple hundred bucks.  His Stupid Fucking Spaceship will continue to rot outside.

• Member Contributer

I forgot to add in wintertime the shell folds in half and can be stored along a wall. It is expensive compared to a bike cover but it’s soooo much better. 

Nice!  That's a great solution.  The bonus is if you get kicked out of the house you already have a place to stay until you're allowed back in!  :laugh:

I really need to buy a proper bike cover for in-garage storage this winter.  I usually just throw a sheet or tarp over the bike, but it feels too basic, though it's better than nothing I guess.

• Member Contributer

This might be a good idea, I like it. Since I am thinking about adding another bike to my fleet (if I can sell the idea to my wife) this would be a nice quick take off space.

• Member Contributer

That looks very well made and easy to use.  I might try to keep it away from trees that could drop a branch in a winter storm. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

That looks very well made and easy to use.  I might try to keep it away from trees that could drop a branch in a winter storm. 

The bike gets stored in the garage for the winter, however, good call about branches, summer storms drop lots too. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Calculon said:

The bike gets stored in the garage for the winter, however, good call about branches, summer storms drop lots too. 

BTW, the RWB is looking really sweet.  She's a keeper. 

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, Cogswell said:

BTW, the RWB is looking really sweet.  She's a keeper. 

Yea, it’s really a special bike and I hate to say this but…. I’m thinking of selling my Versys 650 and the VFR and going down to one bike. Three contenders right now, BMW R1250R(S), Moto Guzzi V100 or the new Trident Tiger Sport 660. Considering the new Suzuki GT and Ninja 1000 as well but they leave me kinda cold. 

13 hours ago, Calculon said:

Yea, it’s really a special bike and I hate to say this but…. I’m thinking of selling my Versys 650 and the VFR and going down to one bike. Three contenders right now, BMW R1250R(S), Moto Guzzi V100 or the new Trident Tiger Sport 660. Considering the new Suzuki GT and Ninja 1000 as well but they leave me kinda cold. 

Just my perspective from changing bikes last year, from a 6th gen VFR to a BMW boxer 1200 (the older air/oil-cooled version of that engine) and was surprised by the somewhat similar engine characteristics.  Not much more hp, but a pretty healthy increase in torque from the VFR.  The newer liquid-cooled version (like what's in the R1250R and RS) is faster, smoother, and the valve checks have great intervals.  I looked hard at an R1200R with that engine, but just preferred the older version with a little more character.

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Calculon said:

If you’re considering the Triumph 660 have you looked at the Aprilia 660?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Thumbs said:

No way I’d ever consider an Aprilia, after just leaving from working at a dealership. Piaggio are the worst, having shipped bikes they knew weren’t ready for sale. Instead of dealing with their valvetrain issues before shipping bikes, they shipped them, then, issued recalls, dumping it on the dealers (certain VIN numbers required 10hrs of shop labor to perform the recall). Even worse, depending on the VIN, there were 3 different recall parts bags, which showed up months after the dealers got the bikes. The poor customers who bought bikes through Aprilia’s website were stuck waiting on bikes. To top that, NONE of the accessories those customers ordered through the website showed up with their bikes. At my time of depart, both Aprilia oil filters had been on backorder at least 3mos. No oil filters or belts available for Piaggio scooters, either. 

I’d gladly sign-up for the Triumph, though. Given my impressions of the Trident, the Tiger 660 should be a great bike. 

Edit: I failed to mention, the Aprilia uses a proprietary spark plug unavailable anywhere but through Piaggio. Those were on backorder, as well. And, nope, there’s no crossover available. 

• Member Contributer

My track buddy races Aprilia RSV4. Spends 2-3 days at dealer for repairs for every 1 day on track... 😞

Dealer network is one of the things I think about when I'm considering which motorcycle I might buy.  There is at least one Big 4 dealer shop in most decent sized towns, so if I was on a trip and something really went wrong, I shouldn't be more than 100 miles from the closest shop that could help me, even if it wasn't the exact brand.

Aprilia and other Italian brands, on the other hand, who knows.  The local Ducati and Triumph shop in Akron closed a couple years ago, and as far as I know the closest Duc shops are in Columbus and Pittsburgh.  Not enticing prospects if I bought a new bike and needed warranty work, especially since I don't own a trailer to get the bike there if necessary.

By the way, the local Big 4 dealer here - a large one - also sells Aprilia.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Thumbs said:

I like the bike a great deal but I’m looking for something with a  bit more focusing on touring. 

By the way, rode the VFR today and it’s going to be hard to find a bike to beat it. 

Archived