Anyone tried Dunlop Roadsport (not smart) 120/180 on 5th gen?

bmart

• Member Contributer

I used to run the GPR300 on my 400 and they worked fine. the Q3+ just gives a little more feedback. Wondering if the Roadsport (the one in between the GPR and Roadsmart) is perfectly adequate on a 5th gen. Under $200 for a set. Roadsmart 4 are ridiculously overpriced. I wish I could get a current date code RS2 pair. Thanks!

Dunlop Roadsport 2

• Member Contributer

I think Roadsport actually fits in between GPR and Roadsmart. If you're used to GPR, then should be fine with Roadsport.

• Member Contributer

You're right. I mistyped. Waiting to head back from Dunlop on a few questions. It would be great to hear from anyone who has used any of these on a VFR. I love my Roadsmart 2s, but they're long off the market. Looks like $60/set difference from Roadsport 2 to Roadsmart 3. Not that much if they last longer. 

I'm running Roadsmart II's and love them.  I just checked Iron Pony's website, and the 180/55-17 rear shows as in stock, and a great deal at $95.  You could always pair it with a Roadsmart III front tire or maybe a stickier Dunlop front with a similar tread pattern.

I've not tried the Roadsports yet, though I was tempted.  I decided to get the Roadsmart II's this summer and it worked out.  The Roadsports get good reviews, but with two asterisks:

1. They seem to be good all-around tires, but maybe not as sticky in the twisties, and maybe not as good in wet weather.

2. They don't seem to wear as long as the Roadsmarts.  I've bought cheaper but faster wearing sport-touring tires (like the Roadsports) in the past, but these days I'd rather spend a little more and get more tread life out of my tires.  But to each his own.  😉

One other thing to keep in mind:  Dunlop has been running some rebates this year.  But watch out exactly which tires are eligible, and the cutoff dates.

• Member Contributer

Iron Pony has none. Pretty sure than unless a local store has some with recent date codes, the RS2s are gone. Nearly everywhere is within a few dollars per tire, so I'm going to do the norm and wait for that Fall rebate. The stockers are still on there...from 1999ish. lol

Archived