2009 VFRness?

Is the electrical upgrade necessary on a 2009 model? Perhaps I should at least put dielectric grease in connectors.

What about upgrading the rectifier to a Mosfet or similar? Also, what is a good voltage gauge to add? One with the flip cover, brand?

Suggestions welcome, thanks Robert.

• Member Contributer

VFRness is a waste. 

Upgrade the R/R with a Roadstercycle SH847 Kit, which includes a harness. 

DO NOT put dielectric grease on the connectors; use something like OxGard. 

YMMV, as far as voltmeters.

21 minutes ago, ducnut said:

VFRness is a waste. 

Upgrade the R/R with a Roadstercycle SH847 Kit, which includes a harness. 

DO NOT put dielectric grease on the connectors; use something like OxGard. 

YMMV, as far as voltmeters.

Right, forgot I have a tube of OxGard in the garage! I saw a guy on utube with a voltmeter mounted on the left fairing piece &

it had a flip cover with 2 usb ports. Thanks for the r&r lead.

• Member Contributer

Really depending on the current mileage of the bike. At least for a start, get a multi meter and check the health of the charging system. --- Somewhere in the threads is a check procedure called "the drill". Follow that and report back.

On the 6th gen, it's not uncommon for the stator to die, and the upgrading the R/R is worth it too. (I have mount kits for Roadstercycle R/Rs)

A voltmeter up front is a worthwhile addition also. There's 50 choices for voltmeter, check Amazon..

There's a thread for that too.

(Should I do a 5th gen mount for the SH847? I have a design. )

1 hour ago, mello dude said:

Really depending on the current mileage of the bike. At least for a start, get a multi meter and check the health of the charging system. --- Somewhere in the threads is a check procedure called "the drill". Follow that and report back.

On the 6th gen, it's not uncommon for the stator to die, and the upgrading the R/R is worth it too. (I have mount kits for Roadstercycle R/Rs)

A voltmeter up front is a worthwhile addition also. There's 50 choices for voltmeter, check Amazon..

There's a thread for that too.

(Should I do a 5th gen mount for the SH847? I have a design. )

I bought it new in 2011 & have put 30,000 miles on it. No issues to date. Just like preventive maintenance. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Leave it alone. I have a 2007 with 27.5k miles which I've owned for 11 years with no problems. Last battery lasted 9 years (use tender often). 2006+ models are better, though not 100% immune.

Archived