Barn Find - need help please

Jroberts3

Very interesting post here. First of all I'm very impressed with the support, great job Danno and Grum!   Can't wait to find out what the problem is.  You guys are doing such a good job helping JRoberts  out I didn't want to interrupt...to many cooks in the kitchen you know.

JRoberts, are you sure the fuel injectors are good, fuel can pulsed through?  If it does come down to replacing the injectors, I have a set of four from my 98 VFR that were recently ultrasonically cleaned and calibrated by MAREN Fuel Injector service that I'll sell very cheap to you.  I installed the A&A Performance supercharger back in 2010 I think it was.  The stock injectors didn't keep ( exceeded duty cycle) up at high RPM when the boost was on.  I ended up using injectors from the CBR1100xx.   I might even have the original OEM pressure regulator and fuel pump??  Both of those components had to be swapped out with aftermarket parts to keep up with supercharger but were working perfectly when removed.

Hope you find the problem soon.  Sounds like you have excellent help already

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Thanks for the offer TireGuy, but I installed new oem injectors at the beginning.  Also a big thanks to Danno and Grum for your patience and time, I would have given up if it weren't for your guy's help.  As suggested, I obtained a fuel pressure gauge - no problem there but the vacuum issue still persists (cylinder 3&4 to FPR) and I discovered an issue with the TPS voltage while troubleshooting further (note the bike still only starts when it wants to).  Closed throttle voltage starts at 2.09v and drops to .41v WOT (the gradient seems backwards and the starting voltage is in the middle of the range).  Attached video to show I'm not crazy.  Also wanted to mention I didn't get a chance to remove the air box and connect the Noid light Danno, I am not ignoring you.  I removed the TPS and simulated throttle by hand, the readings were the same but then stopped returning voltage altogether, It had a slight "scratchy" feel when turning it.  Thought to myself, ok I have a bad TPS and very likely have a vacuum leak at one of the butterflies.  The TPS is not sold individually but as part of the throttle body assembly.  Found a new one on Ebay but way too expensive and settled on a used throttle body with TPS taken from a running bike.  The package arrived today and all I've been able to do is test to make sure the butterflies hold pressure, did this with my mouth.  Planning to install in the next few days, I will keep you posted.  As always, I'm open to suggestions and comments.  Thanks again.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Jroberts3 said:

Thanks for the offer TireGuy, but I installed new oem injectors at the beginning.  Also a big thanks to Danno and Grum for your patience and time, I would have given up if it weren't for your guy's help.  As suggested, I obtained a fuel pressure gauge - no problem there but the vacuum issue still persists (cylinder 3&4 to FPR) and I discovered an issue with the TPS voltage while troubleshooting further (note the bike still only starts when it wants to).  Closed throttle voltage starts at 2.09v and drops to .41v WOT (the gradient seems backwards and the starting voltage is in the middle of the range).  Attached video to show I'm not crazy.  Also wanted to mention I didn't get a chance to remove the air box and connect the Noid light Danno, I am not ignoring you.  I removed the TPS and simulated throttle by hand, the readings were the same but then stopped returning voltage altogether, It had a slight "scratchy" feel when turning it.  Thought to myself, ok I have a bad TPS and very likely have a vacuum leak at one of the butterflies.  The TPS is not sold individually but as part of the throttle body assembly.  Found a new one on Ebay but way too expensive and settled on a used throttle body with TPS taken from a running bike.  The package arrived today and all I've been able to do is test to make sure the butterflies hold pressure, did this with my mouth.  Planning to install in the next few days, I will keep you posted.  As always, I'm open to suggestions and comments.  Thanks again.

Appears that at last you have confirmed good fuel rail pressure.

"'As suggested, I obtained a fuel pressure gauge - no problem there but the vacuum issue still persists (cylinder 3&4 to FPR)" - Don't get what you are saying here! You have a new FPR fitted. What do you mean by vacuum issue still persists for 3 & 4? 

- With the TPS have you first measured the 5v reference voltage between the Pink and the Green/Orange wires? This needs to be 4.75 to 5.25v.

- Having the voltages you're stating would most likely flag a DTC code of 8 for the TPS.! Where are you measuring these voltages?

- With everything connected you need to be probing between the Green/Orange (-) and the Light Green (+) to measure the TPS output for closed and WOT. The Honda Cable Breakout Test Leads are not required Provided you know what wire you are dealing with from the circuit diagram. Page 5-11 describes a cross reference for the Test Lead numbers related to the ECM pin numbers.

- Make sure you carefully go through pages 5-20 to 5-23 to properly check supply voltages, grounds and output voltages before making assumptions the TPS is faulty.

TPS wires Pink Wire = 5v Reference Voltage (From B7 of ECM), Green/Orange = Signal Ground (From B2 of ECM), Light Green = TPS Output voltage to ECM (at B14).  

• Member Contributer

Finally got it running and takes throttle!  It was a bad TPS.  Will need to sync the SVs,  I learned a lot with this bike and riding it will be that much better because of it.  Thanks again everyone for your help.  Now I need to tackle brake bleeding and R/R upgrade 🙂

• Member Contributer

Congratulations good news.

Check out the above link for setting the SV'S for a 5th gen.

They are not set evenly. You want to set #3 20mmHg higher and #4 10mmHg higher than #1 and #2.

So it seems your bike wasn't starving of Fuel but of Air, as the throttle plate angle was not matching the faulty TPS signal to the ECM.

I suppose that because the ECM was at least seeing a signal within the operating band, it didn't flag a DTC code! - Interesting.

Good luck hope you'll be riding soon.

• Member Contributer

Nice work! Very impressive getting it going, and seeing all of the help on the forum. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Jroberts3 said:

Finally got it running and takes throttle!  It was a bad TPS.  Will need to sync the SVs,  I learned a lot with this bike and riding it will be that much better because of it.  Thanks again everyone for your help.  Now I need to tackle brake bleeding and R/R upgrade 🙂

Nice.  When you get to the brakes, there's a brake bleeding guide in the maintenance section.  It's geared toward 6th gens, but the SMC is common to both 5 and 6 and is what seems to give owners the most trouble, so the guide should be helpful. 

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Nice.  When you get to the brakes, there's a brake bleeding guide in the maintenance section.  It's geared toward 6th gens, but the SMC is common to both 5 and 6 and is what seems to give owners the most trouble, so the guide should be helpful. 

Thanks, I'll be sure to follow the instructions.

• Member Contributer

I had a chance to put the VFR through her paces this weekend and I must say it has a perfect balance of performance and comfort.  I can't wait for next weekend to ride it again and really happy I took a chance on it.  I want to say thanks again everyone for helping me, the VFR community is awesome!! 

Archived