Chinese Slip On Exhaust for 6th Gen VFR800

coolcookiez

Does anyone run with replica Yosi or Akra slip ons on their 6th gen? I have a 2002 with staintunes but I hate the look of them (they look very 90s) and the sound is not all that impressive either. Being on a budget, I was thinking to keep the staintunes pipe from the car to the muffler, but swap the muffler for something like what is linked below. Would love your opinions or how it experiences have been. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...&terminal_id=d66aa675de044d22a4568e9993fbe019

• Member Contributer

The carbon fiber looks as fake as the mufflers, themselves.

What you have is the most desirable exhaust ever available for that bike. If you’re not satisfied with what you have, you won’t be satisfied with anything, IMO. 

• Member Contributer

ewwww.   Those are TERRIBLE.  I think you're crazy, but it's your bike, do what you want.  Don't think you're gonna get much approval for your plan here tho.

• Member Contributer

I bought pair of those for $10/ea couple years ago pre-tariff for my track bike. CF is just overlay sticker on top of mild-steel. It will burn off in hottest patches and look like crap. Innards are very poor design and result in lowered performance compared to what you have now.

• Member Contributer
17 minutes ago, DannoXYZ said:

I bought pair of those for $10/ea couple years ago pre-tariff for my track bike. CF is just overlay sticker on top of mild-steel. It will burn off in hottest patches and look like crap. Innards are very poor design and result in lowered performance compared to what you have now.

Yeah, but that sweet sound Danno.   ; - |

• Member Contributer

Sell your Staintunes, buy some Delkevic's, and put the extra cash into your pocket. 

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Yeah, but that sweet sound Danno.   ; - |

Heh, heh... I must be getting old! Prefer quieter bikes now. :)

• Member Contributer

I wish I had Staintunes!

That being said, the Delkevics *with* the "quieter baffles" you can buy separately are probably the best option available in 2021 and not really expensive.  I couldn't hear myself think with the stock baffles after 20 minutes and can't imagine running them without any baffle at all.   I have the open 8" versions...the DS 9" look like Staintune clones to me.  Delkevic and the internet both say they sound about the same.  

I wouldn't trade Staintunes for Delkevics.  But FWIW the Delkevics sound pretty good and at least look different.  From six feet away the VFR sounds like a big V-8 now.  Sitting on top of it, the bike sounds "wide open" so I hear a lot of valve noise and all the other things on top of the rumble at idle.  It roars above 6K RPM in a good way.  At speed the sound is way behind me and pretty quiet.

I have noticed that when out in the woods like a national park, cars now stay away from me, both ahead and behind.  So...there's that...

• Member Contributer

ShipFixer, do you wear earplugs?  I leave my Delkevics open, but good plugs quieten the exhaust and "all the other things" enough that I don't feel exhausted (pun intended) from noise at the end of a ride.  The Delks are a little louder than my Remus exhausts, but both sound great in their own way.  

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

Heh, heh... I must be getting old! Prefer quieter bikes now. 🙂

Total sarcasm in my post.  Regardless of loudness, I can't imagine those actually sound "good".  

My preference depends on the bike.  Sometimes I want a rip n' snort.  Other times I want it quieter.  I took off some sweet 2 Brothers slip-ons from my ST1100, but I suspect they desperately needed a re-pack more than anything.

• Member Contributer
18 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Total sarcasm in my post.  Regardless of loudness, I can't imagine those actually sound "good".  

I don't think it's possible to make our V-4s sound bad.  Case in point, gutted OEM 6th gen cans.  They are a bit obnoxious, but in a good way.  I just like the looks and sound of my Remus and Delkevic cans better.  However, I'm thinking those cans with a sticker on them won't last too long even if they do sound good.

• Member Contributer
Just now, tbzep said:

I don't think it's possible to make our V-4s sound bad.  Case in point, gutted OEM 6th gen cans.  They are a bit obnoxious, but in a good way.  I just like the looks and sound of my Remus and Delkevic cans better.  However, I'm thinking those cans with a sticker on them won't last too long even if they do sound good.

I hope to never find out.  And gutted OEM 6th Gen sound is an opinion, not fact.  I think they sound hollow and shitty.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Captain 80s said:

I hope to never find out.  And gutted OEM 6th Gen sound is an opinion, not fact.  I think they sound hollow and shitty.

I can't disagree, but a lot of guys like their sound.  However, you have to admit our V-4 makes them sound a lot better than if they were hanging on an I-4 or a twin.

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, tbzep said:

I can't disagree, but a lot of guys like their sound.  However, you have to admit our V-4 makes them sound a lot better than if they were hanging on an I-4 or a twin.

Alright, alright!   V4s RULE!   Cheers dude.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, tbzep said:

ShipFixer, do you wear earplugs?  I leave my Delkevics open, but good plugs quieten the exhaust and "all the other things" enough that I don't feel exhausted (pun intended) from noise at the end of a ride.  The Delks are a little louder than my Remus exhausts, but both sound great in their own way.  

Not usually, but even with earplugs the standard baffles were too loud.  With the quieter baffles, I can ride without earplugs regularly no problem.  They probably do give the 3-5 dB reduction advertised.

My bike also has the straight pipe VFRD headers, and I pass hearing tests with flying colors.  Those two things probably make a difference.  No idea what other people hear on their bikes, but after the header/Delkevic install I was constantly checking for exhaust leaks at the flanges.  I hear a whole lot of "inside the engine" noises now at idle.  If I step off the bike and back up 3-4 feet, I just hear the V-8ish rumble so I assume that's what everyone around me hears.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, ShipFixer said:

Not usually, but even with earplugs the standard baffles were too loud.  With the quieter baffles, I can ride without earplugs regularly no problem.  They probably do give the 3-5 dB reduction advertised.

My bike also has the straight pipe VFRD headers, and I pass hearing tests with flying colors.  Those two things probably make a difference.  No idea what other people hear on their bikes, but after the header/Delkevic install I was constantly checking for exhaust leaks at the flanges.  I hear a whole lot of "inside the engine" noises now at idle.  If I step off the bike and back up 3-4 feet, I just hear the V-8ish rumble so I assume that's what everyone around me hears.

I'm sure straight headers with no cat make a big difference. 

• 3 weeks later...

As an American of Chinese descent, I think I can safely critique them without the PC police coming after me.

It appears that the chinese only think in 1 dimension whenever they try to produce something, usually it falls along the aesthetic characteristic, i.e. Does it look the part? Everything else be damned as they race to the bottom. They don’t care about build quality, they don’t care about performance - if it does actually perform it will be a side effect and not intentional. Most likely, your bike will look fast from 20 ft away assuming its stationary. When you start up it will be a cacophonous assault on the ears of everyone within ear shot. Hopefully, you will remove it before it does either physical or mechanical damage to your bike. Ultimately in the end, we will all have suffered from the Chinese taking away business from the people that actually try - Akrapovic, yoshimura and Arrow - I have staintunes and love them. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, VeryFudgingRed said:

As an American of Chinese descent, I think I can safely critique them without the PC police coming after me.

It appears that the chinese only think in 1 dimension whenever they try to produce something, usually it falls along the aesthetic characteristic, i.e. Does it look the part? Everything else be damned as they race to the bottom. They don’t care about build quality, they don’t care about performance - if it does actually perform it will be a side effect and not intentional. Most likely, your bike will look fast from 20 ft away assuming its stationary. When you start up it will be a cacophonous assault on the ears of everyone within ear shot. Hopefully, you will remove it before it does either physical or mechanical damage to your bike. Ultimately in the end, we will all have suffered from the Chinese taking away business from the people that actually try - Akrapovic, yoshimura and Arrow - I have staintunes and love them. 

Some years ago, I read a piece by Lee Iacocca, describing his attempt at partnering with a Chinese manufacturer. Amazingly, his sentiment virtually mirrors yours. 

18 hours ago, VeryFudgingRed said:

The best thing I've read in this thread thus far.

image.png.871534cf8065f9437569892b73c25b10.pngstealthdecal.jpg.6ce3c337714e56a8b8f42675abedbfd3.jpgWhen I purchased my 2007 the PO had Termignoni exhausts installed and tuned to the bike. It doesn't look as though Termignoni make this exhaust system for the VFR800s anymore. I wasn't sure how I would feel about the Termignoni exhaust at the time I purchased the bike, but now I really appreciate having this exhaust. They have a slightly deeper sound, a more rounded sound if that makes any sense? Too bad you dislike the OEM exhaust and feel you need to change. I've hated loud pipe since I can remember, even as a young man. I can fly in and out of anyone's neighborhood and no one even knew I was there. I've heard loud systems in the canyons of mountains on other's bikes and it's almost embarrassing to me. Makes me realize just what I have and how cool the system I have really is. I have the OEM exhaust on my 2002 Kawasaki ZX9R and sure appreciate the quiet sound of that exhaust as well.

190764125_20210719_1420561.thumb.jpg.e68cf5c1ecdffcf1acd0e1eb5bcfc0e8.jpg

VFR800_13.thumb.jpg.46c06b48808e1979aa9a94c688e319c1.jpg 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Kbear said:

The best thing I've read in this thread thus far.

image.png.871534cf8065f9437569892b73c25b10.pngstealthdecal.jpg.6ce3c337714e56a8b8f42675abedbfd3.jpgWhen I purchased my 2007 the PO had Termignoni exhausts installed and tuned to the bike. It doesn't look as though Termignoni make this exhaust system for the VFR800s anymore. I wasn't sure how I would feel about the Termignoni exhaust at the time I purchased the bike, but now I really appreciate having this exhaust. They have a slightly deeper sound, a more rounded sound if that makes any sense? Too bad you dislike the OEM exhaust and feel you need to change. I've hated loud pipe since I can remember, even as a young man. I can fly in and out of anyone's neighborhood and no one even knew I was there. I've heard loud systems in the canyons of mountains on other's bikes and it's almost embarrassing to me. Makes me realize just what I have and how cool the system I have really is. I have the OEM exhaust on my 2002 Kawasaki ZX9R and sure appreciate the quite sound of that exhaust as well.

190764125_20210719_1420561.thumb.jpg.e68cf5c1ecdffcf1acd0e1eb5bcfc0e8.jpg

VFR800_13.thumb.jpg.46c06b48808e1979aa9a94c688e319c1.jpg 

That’s the stock exhaust; not Termignoni. 

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, VeryFudgingRed said:

Don't lump all Chinese manufacturers into one category. What we are seeing here is what majority of market wants and what greedy U.S. importers are ordering. Chinese manufacturers are simply supplying demands.

If you want, you can order top-quality superlight titanium exhaust with high-performance flow and any kind of sound profile you wanted. But definitely will be more costly than the norm (look at OP).

Couple decades ago, I sold custom programmable ECUs for Porsches. Designed in NZ and manufactured in China. I could've chosen quality levels that would've resulted in retail pricing of $100 or $10000 for exact same product! 🙂

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

Don't lump all Chinese manufacturers into one category. What we are seeing here is what majority of market wants and what greedy U.S. importers are ordering. Chinese manufacturers are simply supplying demands.

Spot on..

As long as consumers feel it is "ok" to snort coke on their Saturday night out (or working overtime in their offices), the market will supply.... :laugh:

A well known, quality exhaust manufacturer that made pipes for VFRS as well went (for whatever reason I am not privvvy to) bust and at some point re-emerged. With stuff made in China. Leaning on their brand name, they started seling again. But the quality they specified to the manufacturer (or the quality they were willing to accept) was G D awful.  So after a while they went bust again..

Back in 1986 my manager taught me:

- You get what you negotiate

- You get what you accept

I have a 1986 VFR750 with a Hindle/Sudco 4-1 exhaust.  The canister is a fake carbon fiber never had a problem with it.  I also have some knock off shorty AR carbon canisters never had a problem with them.  In the event the carbon bubbles you could always remove it and or have it powder coated in high temp black.  I have powder coated several headers.

Archived