Can You Put Throwover Luggage On A 7th Gen VFR? Yes!

LocalRoadKing

Hi Everyone,

When I bought my 2010 VFR1200F it didn't come with the Honda factory cases. I wasn't originally gonna use this machine to tour but I changed my mind part way through this year, so what's a guy to do? Honda factory side cases are about $2300 per set, no thanks. There are other hard case options out there but they are A: Also very expensive. B: Require brackets and mounting hardware to buy, and C:_Don't look as good as soft luggage IMO.

This left me with trying some universal fit saddlebags as my last real affordable option. I wasn't sure how feasible it might be with this bike though, I've scoured the internet and I've never seen any pictures or discussion of soft luggage fitted to a 7th gen VFR. Was it just not possible due to the unique tail design? The only way to find out was to buy some and try it myself. I took some measurements around the tail and ordered some Ogio Saddlebags which I determined would be the correct height and length to fit.

And... They fit great! If you've ever wondered if this type of luggage can fit on one of our bikes, wonder no more! Now I can't speak for other universal fit bags, but these ones work great due to their size, their shape, and their strap design.

Here is how I got them to fit: When I got them, I originally tried using the big velcro straps to connect them together and "throw them over" the tail, but with these bags, part of the strap is unprotected and makes contact with the paint whether they're routed over or under the seat. I could put down some masking tape to protect the paint there, but I didn't like the idea of having tape on the bike when the bags are off. I then noticed that the handles for the bags could fit on the handles on the tail and hang them down the ideal distance, so I ended up trying that and it works great! The bags come with 2 straps with buckles for each bag to secure the bags longitudinally on both ends, I secured the front ones on the passenger peg bracket, and the rear ones through the clip hole for the Honda factory cases [see pictures] and it happened to work great.

Now you're probably thinking at this point, what is preventing the bags from flopping under the tail and getting caught in the wheel? Well Honda thankfully had me covered there, there is a part of the rear passenger peg brackets that extend backwards toward the tail, and if you position the bags so they rest on that piece then they stay upright and don't flop inwards [see pictures], thanks Honda!

So if you want to tour on the cheap get yourself some inexpensive throwover bags and hit the road! I can't wait to go on some trips with these things, my back will thank me for not carrying a big heavy backpack instead!

PXL_20210923_172946198.jpg

PXL_20210923_173046948.jpg

PXL_20210923_173101545.jpg

PXL_20210923_173113877.jpg

PXL_20210923_173126693.jpg

PXL_20210923_173248765.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Nice! I used the Corbin soft luggage on mine before I eventually got the hard bags. Very similar to the Ogio, and I think it was only around $350 for all 3 bags... of course that was in 2015. Prices seem to be going way up on everything nowadays.

All 4 bags have zippers and can expand another 30% ~ 50% - It looks like those have the same feature.

20160102_171211.jpg

Bags.jpg

Archived