New to me 1990 750

Hello all...this looks like a great forum.

As an intro, I'm old and retired but I started riding at 16. My last ride was a Vstrom DL650A about 10 years ago. I recently got the itch to ride again so I started looking for something different. I found my 1990 VFR 750 which I plan to license collector status here is BC to save insurance costs.

The bike is in great shape with 63000 KM which I understand is barely broken in.

Currently it sits in my garage while I visit my 'kids' awaiting a Grandson so it may be a few weeks before I get started on the bike.

I plan to change all the fluids, filters etc. then move on the a couple of things to improve my ride position...lower pegs and higher bars (I did mention I'm old). These I can't do until I get the collector status approved as the powers that be insist on 'stock' condition (that could prove a challenge as it has a Corbin seat so I may need to beg borrow a stock seat for a photo shot)

I would appreciate knowing if there are any other Victoria area riders I could contact and I sure would like some suggestions on peg lowering and bar raising.

I have had two rides so far and I love the bike so I look forward to ongoing discussions...Thanks

PS: I will post a photo when I get home.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum Polyian. We are so looking forward to a picture of your machine. We need assurances that you are not a figment of our imagination.

Ride safe and have fun. In. That. Order.

• Member Contributer
On 9/23/2021 at 8:38 AM, Polyian said:

I plan to change ... a couple of things to improve my ride position...lower pegs and higher bars

I'd not recommend lowering footpegs on a 3rd gen VFR750 as ground clearance isn't generous.

The cheapest handlebar option is to raise the existing 'bars higher on the fork tubes. As I recall you can probably go about 18mm / 3/4" . Do ensure that the bars are no higher than flush with the top of the fork, and that the  bolts are properly torqued. Also, you'll need to remove the thin circlip just above the bars.

Second cheapest is to fit a set of 5th gen VFR800 handlebars. Btw, 6th gen might also fit but require a 1mm shim as they use 43mm fork tubes. They too are about 18mm / 3/4" higher than VFR750 ones. You may need to trim a locating tab. Thankfully, the locating holes for the switchgear & throttle ass'y are in the same position (90% confident of my memory). Do note that 'bar end weights of VFR750 and VFR800 are different.

Raising them may affect steering lock.  Check that there is still clearance with the fuel tank and upper fairing with the 'bars turned full left & right.

On 9/25/2021 at 9:08 AM, 3rdgenred said:

You are looking for bar risers? You're sick 😜 i think i still have a set somewhere. Give me a couple days to hunt. 

Thanks please let me know what you come up with in your search

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, jefferson said:

Looks like you have every option except the clock. Really nice!

I noticed no clock, what are the other options I do have? I’m just learning about what I bought on a whim.

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Polyian said:

I noticed no clock, what are the other options I do have? I’m just learning about what I bought on a whim.

You have the center stand and solo cowl.  The 90-93 have kinda a cool feature where the rear grab handles slide in and fold down.

And, don't ever lose the cowl piece that is bolted to the side stand.  Made out of Unobtanium and Unicorn tears.

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Polyian said:

Where do folks put their pics? I don’t see an obvious are to upload them.

In your profile you can create albums to store some pics and use to post.  Or you can upload and attach pics in each individual post.

1 minute ago, Captain 80s said:

In your profile you can create albums to store some pics and use to post.  Or you can upload and attach pics in each individual post.

Thanks, I removed all the pics from my signature when I realized they were attached to all my posts, old guys can learn but a bit slower… LOL 

• Member Contributer

Hey...  I posted over on VFRWorld, but here's an example of what I was talking about regarding bars.

• Member Contributer

Here's my other post:

You might consider some VF1000F or NT650 handlebars. They are 41mm have a pretty good rise over stock. Just need to try and make sure they will play nice with the upper cowl. I can give you some dimensions if you want.

Actually I might have some bars that came off the Hawk NT650 I bought. They aren't stock. I think they might be Ducati bars. I grab a pic or two with them against your VFR bars and VF1000F.

• Member Contributer

You can also get aftermarket bars customised with exact rise you want. I use these on my track bike with zero rise positioned 5cm under upper fork clamp.

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/woodcraft-3-inch-riser-clip-ons/

• Member Contributer

GenMar made some risers for this bike too. I had a set in the garage, I'll see if I still have them, but I think they're available still.

Very nice bike, I'd love to find one in that condition in the '93 white. Yours looks like it was unmolested and cared for, right down to the original rear fender. Congrats!

Archived