Buying a used 2010 VFR1200f manual model

Redbike

Hi Guys,

Could you give me some advices what should be important to check beside the normal signs of wears and damages, and of course the H factory call back before

when looking for a used bike?

Possible:18k km in a 11 years old bike???

Does it have any specially weak component?

How can I recognise the valve clearance issues - if it was not real maintained?

How often to maintain the front forks and sealings? Should it come with the replacement of the steering bearings (what is actual)?

How is it charging the battery on idle and higher?

What petrol does it like, 95 or only 98/100?

How to open the 100ch engine setting to normal, how it came from abroad?

Can a dealer really do it just setting its program, how they promise? Then is it like a 174Le model w/o handicaps ?

The bike I found has a Givi high shield. I will check if it is ok. Except this, the bike is stock.

Possible:18k km in a 11 years old bike???
 Mine (2011 model had 6.800km on it when i bought it. 🙂 

Does it have any specially weak component?
  Built quality is pretty superb, i am yet to find anything worth noting. 

How can I recognise the valve clearance issues if it was not real maintained?
  At 18.000KM it would be a tragedy to open the engine up unless you can hear the valves sounding off. 

How often to maintain the front forks and sealings? Should it come with the replacement of the steering bearings (what is actual)?
  I mean technically you should do a complete overhaul of your suspension every 10k kilometers (if you ask the guys getting paid to do the job) realistically if the suspension seems good, and your forks are tight (i.e not leaking) i dont see the value in tearing everything apart to change fluids. 

How is it charging the battery on idle and higher?
  Not sure what to say, i dont think this bike is famous for battery issues, its easy to get to and charge the battery if need be, if its old then by all means replace it. Ride the bike somewhat regularly and you should not have issues. 

What petrol does it like, 95 or only 98/100?
  It can run on 95 fine, obviously it can also run on 98/100, more of a religion thing. Generally premium gas has more additives to help keep your injectors etc clean, so maybe mix it up now and then, you wont harm anything.

How to open the 100ch engine setting to normal, how it came from abroad?
 No idea.

Can a dealer really do it just setting its program, how they promise? Then is it like a 174Le model w/o handicaps ?
  Not sure what to say here either. 
if you are talking engine tuning reach out to Sabsteef https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=sabsteef honda ecu tuning

He can remote tune/remove restrictions etc at a very fair price. 

Generally i would stress very little about acquiring the VFR 1200 if its been cleared for the factory issues this model had in the early days. 
At least in my experience you wont get a much more reliable mile crushing monster (at least not even close in terms of pricing) A used VFR 1200 is so
hilariously cheap when you consider what you are getting for your money. 
If you decide on buying one, then welcome to the club and congratulations, odds are you'll have a gem of a bike. 🙂

Thank you for your comments.

Yes, the km stand I see only like a cosmetic feature when speaking about a 11years old bike with slight wear on the front disks and 2mm rear pads etc.

I can imagine it has more run than my actual 800vtec-2006 with no wear on it.
But I hope to go out with family it will fit better with the hard languages.

I don't drive really sporty specially with my passenger, so its overweight won't be critical. Also I try to avoid the down-town and any offroads, but I was looking for a bike with massive power and vfr like technology. The CTX1300 was over my budget, why I could have changed my sport touring way of thinking, so not to buy a Kawasaki I just selected this Organic looking big Vfr12. I hope I will like it.

Archived