Maybe sport tourers are not Dead?

VFR80025th

Love the new Suzuki 1000 GT, lighter than a non abs 07 vfr 800, more power/ torque, adjustable suspension, ride modes, cruise control, traction control, ABS, nice dash that you can synch your phone to, led lighting, comfortably upright seating.    

I love my vfr but time and continued development of modern motorcycles means Honda’s once proud flagship has seen better days.   

My current Suzuki Bking has been a better sport tourer than my vfr FOR ME if I’m honest.  Better Suspension, brakes and these days sit up comfort are what I’m into.    My current Suzuki has been less fussy than my vfr over the years so I would expect this GT variant to be a winner.   

CE1EF1BC-C6CA-4743-A4FF-40982EC46F07.jpeg.6371a9a5a674c05b9a11072359a8b4f8.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Nice enough looking bike, definitely better than its naked counterpart (is that like saying one sister in a sweater is better looking than her naked sister??  hmmm . . .) and luggage is a plus.  I don't care much for nanny features, or anything electronic beyond ABS.  Anyway, if I had one I'd probably enjoy riding it.  It would though likely be something I'd just ride the piss out of, not care too much if it were clean or otherwise scuffed up a bit and would never love on it.  It would be just another bike.  But, with 150 ponies, it would leave just about any Honda V4 in the rear view.  Good on Zuk for taking a shot at keeping an entry in the ST segment.  👍

• Member Contributer

Pretty interested in the bike, ....I'm due for a bike that I ride the piss out of.....150hp? I'll take it...the NT1100 with 100hp and red line at 7400 rpm is sounding boring.

I was thinking of attending the motorcycle show up in Cleveland to see this and some other new models, but it looks like there are no indoor shows scheduled for this winter.  I guess I'll have to wait until they show up at the local Big 4 dealer shop, which is anyone's guess if and when they'll get those models.  Not only due to the pandemic, chip shortage, and supply chain situations, but because since I know these new ST bikes won't sell in big numbers, I bet most dealers will stock very few of them, if they can even get any in the first place.  😕 

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, mello dude said:

Pretty interested in the bike, ....I'm due for a bike that I ride the piss out of.....150hp? I'll take it...the NT1100 with 100hp and red line at 7400 rpm is sounding boring.

Watching the review video (from someone who has actually ridden the Suzuki) the tank range is not even as good as the VFR1200 and that bike was slated by the press for poor tank range. That and no centre stand or heated grips or top box really don't add up to me. I shall take a look at the Motorcycle Live show in December but I'm not expecting it to deliver what it should.

If only they'd put a VFR or derivative VFR engine in the NT 1100 spot.....

• Member Contributer

Suzuki specs show a 5gal fuel tank. Ridden reasonably, it should be plenty of duration for my rickety body to endure. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, ducnut said:

Suzuki specs show a 5gal fuel tank. Ridden reasonably, it should be plenty of duration for my rickety body to endure. 

Why would you ride 150hp reasonably? 😜

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Skids said:

Why would you ride 150hp reasonably? 😜

Good point!  We do have long straight roads between our areas of curvy roads.  I guess we could ride reasonably there.  Nah.  😉

• Member Contributer

Range is definitely a concern - 5 gallons? If I can go 175 miles, I'm good... ... wanting to see a CycleWorld testing and also a S1000GT vs NT1100 vs Tracer 9 test by the same. 

It will all shake out come spring... 

:beer: 

Or... just screw it, grab one of these, the dash is gorgeous. I sat on it, didn't find the ego's for me all that bad... 

As a design, I think its beautiful. A purpose designed fighter jet. 

20210925_121111-M.jpg

• Member Contributer
17 minutes ago, mello dude said:

Range is definitely a concern - 5 gallons? If I can go 175 miles, I'm good... ... wanting to see a CycleWorld testing and also a S1000GT vs NT1100 vs Tracer 9 test by the same. 

Or... just screw it, grab one of these, the dash is gorgeous. I sat on it, didn't find the ego's for me all that bad... 

20210925_121111-M.jpg

I think, they’ve done a great job on this bike. It’s enough progress forward, without losing where it came from. I like the other colorway, though. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 11/4/2021 at 3:50 PM, mello dude said:

20210925_121111-M.jpg

Origins of the Hayabusa goes back to WW2... it was a WarBird that was deadly and feared but

the bike version is big engine big power big deal... a real butt plug in the bendy bits...

hayabusa1-jpg.38783

On 11/4/2021 at 6:50 PM, mello dude said:

I mostly agree with the mileage thing, but I think any bike sold as a sport-tourer should have at least a 200-mile range, especially if it takes premium fuel (though I have no idea whether those new bikes do).  I've run into a situation once or twice where the small town I stopped in for fuel had one gas station, and it was 87 octane only.

As for the 'Busa, if I wanted a hyper-tourer, I'd go for a Concours 14, with its OEM hard bags and more agreeable ergonomics.  😉

• Member Contributer
33 minutes ago, TimC said:

I've run into a situation once or twice where the small town I stopped in for fuel had one gas station, and it was 87 octane only. 

When I pull into a small town, the kind that have one station, I purposely buy 87.  I'm not rolling the dice on the "premium" tank that likely has heen sitting quite a bit longer.

5 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

When I pull into a small town, the kind that have one station, I purposely buy 87.  I'm not rolling the dice on the "premium" tank that likely has heen sitting quite a bit longer.

Good point.  I don't figure half a tank or so of lower octane once in a while is going to do much harm, but I at least like having the choice.  My current bike takes premium, as does my car.  😞

• Member Contributer
On 11/4/2021 at 10:50 PM, mello dude said:

.....A purpose designed fighter jet. 

20210925_121111-M.jpg

Hmmm. Fighter jets are manoeuvrable, extremely manoeuvrable if you want to fly the best. Not sure that accolade could be said about the 'busa.

Intercontinental Ballistic Missile might be more appropriate. 😁 :beer:

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Skids said:

Hmmm. Fighter jets are manoeuvrable, extremely manoeuvrable if you want to fly the best. Not sure that accolade could be said about the 'busa.

Intercontinental Ballistic Missile might be more appropriate. 😁 :beer:

Years ago, I did a trackday where a few of the AMA pros showed up to horse around. One of them rolled out his streetbike, a Hayabusa. That guy blew by me on the front straight like I was standing still. Watching him trying to get it stopped for turn one was the entertaining part, as the rear was wagging and his body motions indicating panic, he finally got it reigned in right at the edge of the asphalt. He told a pretty animated story in the pits, as well, and left the bike in the pits where it belonged. Good times. 

• Member Contributer

We get very few Busas at track days...which is okay with me. I can remember one guy at CMP a few years back on one. He left very early stating, and I'm not kidding, that "the track was broken." I love telling that story. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, bmart said:

We get very few Busas at track days...which is okay with me. I can remember one guy at CMP a few years back on one. He left very early stating, and I'm not kidding, that "the track was broken." I love telling that story. 

I think, now you have to tell the story!

Archived