5th gen manual choke conversion

Adejw

• Member Contributer

There's "possible" and then there "practicable"...

I've never owned a '98-'99, but looking at my Y2k and '01 models I think you could do it if you wanted to swap a bunch of parts--certainly looks do-able at the handgrip end; not so sure what would be required at the throttle body end.  There's also a "wax unit" between the cylinders which is plumbed into the cooling circuit (this is the part that often fails), which you might have to or want to remove, so that means the t-body would have to come off.  Good luck!

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Simple job, remove the wax unit, connect the wax unit hoses together or replace on the crankcase/thermostat with blanking caps or a one piece hose. The get a choke cable stay, which I think is part #5 here https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5064765/vfr800fiw-1998-cm/throttle-body-component-parts Simple part to make from a bit of 2mm steel angle with a couple of holes to match the wax unit mount holes & a hole for the cable end sleeve with a slot in it. 

The later models have a blank plate on the left switch cluster, so you can either source a choke lever or just buy a secondhand left switch unit with the choke lever like I did. Then a piece of universal cable with a fixed end nipple to suit the lever end & a clamp nipple. Route & cut the outer to length to fit. Now insert inner attach to lever, pull through the slack & pass through the starter valve lever point where the wax unit was connected & use the clamp on nipple to allow the inner to pull the starter valve enrichment lever. Job done. Pic of wax unit below. 

3E6BDD03-34B3-4206-8C33-837B304F3144.thumb.jpeg.2301c8a03b2de295acf69a76ebe8671d.jpeg

• Member Contributer

I think if it were me, I'd leave the wax unit on..... I've had several bikes with these and there's nothing wrong with them.  Despite the suggestion you can't adjust it, you actually can if you need to tweak it.

A better thing to do is a proper starter valve sync......

Do this to your Gen5, it is the correct way.

Archived