OEM Quick Shifter

tomb393

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, tomb393 said:

Is it true the oem quick shifter compromises regular shifting by taking up some of the real estate? I have not gotten around to installing mine yet and read that somewhere.

Could you re-phrase that please as I don't understand what "taking up some of the real estate" means, nor the relevance of "comprises regular shifting". Sorry.

I have one fitted to my 2018 VFR800X and it's the beez neez. 

Mine does not get in the way of normal shifting in any way what so ever. I use both methods depending on what I'm doing. Toodling around,  low speed, I use the clutch. If I am giving it some beans, QS is really, really nice to have.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, tomb393 said:

I read this on another forum and have doubts about the claim:

Screenshot_20210918-223038_Chrome.jpg

Why don't you just fit it and form your own opinion? It's ready enough to fit (and remove). 

This is my second VFR800X and I fitted a QS to both. You can see what I think of them. 

6 minutes ago, Sparkie said:

I guess I don't get the quick shifter.  What does it really do when you can just do clutchless upshifts anyway?

I don't think I've ever tried - can you upshift without the clutch while keeping the throttle wide open?

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Sparkie said:

I guess I don't get the quick shifter.  What does it really do when you can just do clutchless upshifts anyway?

You don't have to retard the throttle to change gear. You can leave it pinned fully open and change gear. Most race bikes have it. It's not necessary, just bloody good fun.

If I can keep my brother's Tesla behind me, it's worth it. Most of my riding experience comes from late '70s KZ900, KZ650csr, CB750 and early 80s bikes, V45 Magna, Suzuki GS1100 and GPZ900. You could shift without the clutch, but it took exact timing. This thing with the quick shifting is completely different. No throttle manipulation required, just hold to 10,500rpm and shift up through the gears. It sounds pretty neat, too.

Clutchless shifting is effortless.  I just don't see the need for a device to do the same thing.  :wink:

A hundredth of a second of shifting isn't going to matter compared to a Tesla that can put down 0-60 in 2 seconds and runs a 9 second quarter mile.   🤣 

• 3 weeks later...

I was on the fence about the quick shifter myself, the cost mainly, I finally pulled the trigger on it and am glad I did. Makes the driving experience totally different in a good way. If I had known how much better it would be I would have paid double for it. I will never have another bike without one. As Skids said in his post above "It's bloody good fun". 🙂

Archived