New to me 3rd Gen

• Member Contributer

A little over 2 years ago I bought a 1990 with 45,000 kilometers/28,000 miles on the clock from a member here from Canada. I went on my merry way off to sea for work thinking I'll pick it up when I get back. Well that didn't work out as the border was closed by the time I did return.

Glenn, the owner, was kind enough to store it for me, put a charger on it and periodically start it up for the better part of 2 years as I waited for the Border to reopen.

When it did re open my first try was not successful. In order to enter I needed my passport, proof of vaccination, proof of negative Covid test within 72 hours and had to fill out a Arrive Canada online form only after I had proof of a negative test. My test came in to late to meet this standard so I shelled out $175 for a quicker one at a clinic in Bangor.

Once at the border, it was the usual drill, passport, proof of vaccination, proof of negative test and proof of Arrive Canada form filled out. Then it was....

Reason of visit "to pick up a motorcycle"

What type? "Honda"

Model? "1990 VFR750"

The Border agent suddenly relaxed a bit, and leaned out the window, " I have a 2002, and love it"

Well since there was no one behind me we chatted for about 15 minutes about VFR's.

It had been raining since I left, but it really started to come down now, The remnants of Hurricane Ida were tracking right over New Brunswick. I stopped for a bit just short of St John as the trusty CRV's AWD light had been coming on about every 5-10 seconds and the vehicle was going light. With standing water on the highway like I had not seen in a long time I knew it was hydroplaning, also the 4 cars over turned and 2 in the woods kinda confirmed things were not well. So I pulled off the road and notified Glenn I may not make it. After a quick perusal of Hotel options I carried on, slowly, like 30 mph in a 62mph zone. I ended up stopping 4 more times as I could not see, and the Honda was starting to go at less than desirable angles.

I made it finally, 12.5 hours for what is normally a 9 hour trip to Nova Scotia. Glenn and his wife kindly put me up as I was shattered and tired. We had dinner the Glenn and I loaded the bike on the trailer. I was up at 5 am and on the road at 6.

Made it to Calais around 12, and declared the bike for import and was kindly directed to the side. A few minutes later a young woman in Border Patrol gear came over and asked a few questions and I handed her my paperwork. Half hour later she came back to apologize as no one on station, nor any one they called had done a motorcycle importation. I laughed and said they must do a lot of snowmobiles though! She smiled and said "Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring, we see a Lot of Snow Machines.........

A few minutes after the head of Customs came out for a quick chat and asked me about the bike and could I get out of the car and have a look with him. Nice guy I showed him the head stem Vin and he said he could nor believe this was a 31 year old bike. We talked bikes for a bit then I got back in the car. A few minutes after the woman Border Patrol officer came out with a bunch of papers for me to sign and noted That I was on the hook for $5.08  in duty, which her boss laughed off and I was on my way.

I cannot convey how professional, attentive, courteous and friendly the whole process was. Thank You Calais Maine Border Patrol.

The bike.

1475725852_0905211813a_HDR(2).jpg

• Member Contributer

That magic bike sure has a lot of WOW factor.

After the ordeal to pick it up I bet you're over the moon to have it proudly in your posession. 

Very special bike indeed. Thanks for the post. Lucky you, enjoy.:fing02:

Archived