1998 to 2000 conversion

bmart

• Member Contributer

Hey all,

After nearly eight years of ownership, I may be moving all of the goodies on my 1998 to a 2000 model and have a few questions. I believe that everything will be a direct swap, but hope that you guys can guide me if I'm wrong. Thank you!

Items:

Sprockets/chain

Fork internals

Shock

GIVI rack

Staintune slip on (2000 has O2 sensors and cat, right?)

Sargent seats

Windscreen

Air fitler

Might I be missing anything?

Once I wrap up the swaps, the 1998 will be for sale here in Charlotte, NC in nearly all stock form w/~25k miles and excellent. 

Anything else I should know about the swap to 2000, including the wax (?) fuel enrichment unit? 

Thanks, all!

20170121_133250.jpg

• Member Contributer

2000 picks up the wax unit/enrichment circuit, a cat and 02 sensors in the exhaust, a slightly less desirable header (marginally smaller diameter from what I've read)....

A '98 at 25k mi is just getting past break-in! Surely you must have a good reason, but based on the bikes alone, I can't see it. Either way, I think all the parts you've listed should swap right over (maybe double check the part #'s for the forks & associated small parts to ensure compatibility. Good luck

• Member Contributer

Well my name is probably a clue.  Just more bullshit on the same bike and nothing "improves" it.

Give me Fuel Injection, that's fine.  But I'll stick with just a analog high idle lever thank you.  Keep your stupid "wax unit", I've been on the end of a "choke" lever my whole adult life.  I think I can handle it.

Sure the exhaust is just mild steel.  That's fine, I don't ride in salt water, and I'll get it coated.  But you can keep your catalytic converter (and associated hardware, software), even if it is made out of stainless.

Besides the stupid Linked Brakes (yes, yes...   I know the system works great, I've ridden plenty), the 98-99 is as close to a pure "modern" (re: FI) gear driven cam VFR you can get.   Linked brakes, with secondary masters, proportioning valves and 2 miles of hose, belong on a fucking Gold Wing,

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

• Member Contributer

Are there big problems with the exhaust or wax unit? I found rumblings about both, but nothing concrete (worth worrying about). Thank you!

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, bmart said:

Are there big problems with the exhaust or wax unit? I found rumblings about both, but nothing concrete (worth worrying about). Thank you!

Don't get me wrong. the 00-01 works great and is a lovely bike.  But given a choice, even with more miles (which is nearly irrelevant on a VFR), I'd take the 98-99 every damn time.  Less shit to go wrong and it just adds weight and complexity.  And yours looks excellent.  I see ZERO reason to "upgrade".

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

You'll laugh...red. I absolutely hate red and have owned a 1999 and 1998 for a total of nearly 12 years and ~30k miles. I've even thought of just swapping the bodywork and selling the low mile 2000 as red! 

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, bmart said:

You'll laugh...red. I absolutely hate red and have owned a 1999 and 1998 for a total of nearly 12 years and ~30k miles. I've even thought of just swapping the bodywork and selling the low mile 2000 as red! 

Ok....  there ya go.   Fuck, I'd swap the body work ALL DAY LONG.  And any other doo-dad that is nicer.

Cheapest OEM paint job EVER.

• Like 4

• Member Contributer
22 minutes ago, bmart said:

If you went with Chinese bodywork in yellow and got a tank sprayed to match, you could have the best of both - a yellow '98.  And, you would have zero trouble selling your fairings - they'd be gone in 60 seconds.    My 6G wax unit has failed - I'd swap over a 98/99 lever housing and cable if it were more practical (it would take a lot of fiddling / fabbing to get it done), so I'm not fan of that.  There are varying opinions on the brakes - personally I like 'em, probably saved my ass a time or two, but I do understand personal opinions about them may differ from mine.  Either way, if you want OEM and plug and play yellow bike, then buying a 2000 is probably the easiest way to go. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Chinese bodywork is not part of the best of any world.  He has a chance to buy the color he wants, swap over OEM bodywork onto the better (imo) year, and sell the now red one.

And be WAY ahead money wise.  Might even make money.

• Like 4

• Member Contributer

Yeah, not saying Chinese plastic is the best  (obviously not),  was thinking more along the lines of having the desired color and the OEM plastic on hand to go back to if it ever gets rashed or just tired.  I'm not so sure about money ahead. Buyers usually value stock and when they see a Y2K with red bodywork they'll wonder what's up with it (at least I would).   Why did someone do that,  are they trying to hide something, what's the history of the bike, etc.  Like finding out what a house is worth,  the best way to find out is to move forward with it.  :smile:

• Member Contributer

Swapping fairings on a VFR is not too difficult and much easier than swapping motorcycle parts.  Separating the upper cowl from the inner half cowl is probably the hardest part as you have to be mindful of the side clips on the upper cowl that insert into the inner half cowl.  They are easy to break.  You can see the clips once you remove the side fairings.  A fairing swap also allows you to pick the best panels for your bike that are all now NLA.  I suggest you have a set of fairing clips fairing clips and well nuts well nuts.  It's easy to break 20+ year old fairing clips and some 20+ year old well nuts may need replacement.
My '99 is red and piece by piece I'm sourcing yellow
OEM fairings.  Not easy to find.
Also, having a VFRness may still lead to R/R failure.
 A Shindengen SH847 will solve the problem for the bike's life.
Have fun with the new yellow bike!

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Yeah, not saying Chinese plastic is the best  (obviously not),  was thinking more along the lines of having the desired color and the OEM plastic on hand to go back to if it ever gets rashed or just tired.  I'm not so sure about money ahead. Buyers usually value stock and when they see a Y2K with red bodywork they'll wonder what's up with it (at least I would).   Why did someone do that,  are they trying to hide something, what's the history of the bike, etc.  Like finding out what a house is worth,  the best way to find out is to move forward with it.  :smile:

They can wonder what's up and it can be explained.  My well cared for 1998 is red, I have a good amount upgrades and don't want to start over.  Im tired of red.  Here's a sweet low mile 2000 that is now red.  Here's all the pics when I had the bodywork off.  You like red?  Cool, let's talk.  Not hard.

• Member Contributer

I'd keep the '98...... I'm not seeing why you'd want a '00-01 over that either.... why bother at all?  I didn't see if the 2000 was yellow..... if that's the reason, move all the plastic and tank, keep the '98, sell the 2000.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Tirso said:

Also, having a VFRness may still lead to R/R failure.  A Shindengen SH847 will solve the problem for the bike's life.
Have fun with the new yellow bike!

Thanks for this. Are you saying R/R only, or with the VFRness for the 2000? 

• Member Contributer

Got it. Thanks!

Also found this which mentions a frame change, but it looks non-U.S. HESS was non U.S., I believe, but also see modified clutch. Thoughts? (Sorry...I like to track things!.)

"2000: Honda VFR800i gets minor update; slight frame changes, modified clutch, refined fuel injection, more durable electrics, improved mirrors, HISS security system."

It isn't all bad...3k miles. 

20210916_191649.thumb.jpg.81dc7458efc2b2d3e9b7845039f9428c.jpg

• Member Contributer

And I apprecizte them. I also got some opinions from a bunch of Internet friends (VFR owners) on another list. lol Looks like it is staying and I'm on the hunt for a few aftermarket goodies which seem to be getting harder to find. 

Thanks all!

• Member Contributer

Should I marry her?

No. 

Not a chance. 

Are you fucking crazy?

We're engaged!!!

Just bustin' your balls.   Enjoy the journey again, looks pretty fucking nice.

• Like 1