Leaking Fuel Petcock on 1990 vfr750f

AJO

Hey,

New to this.  Been a VFR enthusiast since 1985.  Yes, I'm very old.  Anywho, I have a 1990 vfr750 that is my baby.  I bought it in 2010 on the heals of a divorce from a woman who in 1998 talked me into selling my 1991 vfr, because it was dangerous.  Women.  The bronze rims were ugly anyway. (My apologies to those who disagree.)

With all of that said, Sally, my current love interest, (affectionately nicknamed by my eldest son) has developed a leaking petcock.  I have scoured the internet looking for a new petcock or even a rebuilt one to no avail.  

I am hoping that someone out there can help me.  

Is there an aftermarket replacement that someone else has found that fits and works well?  Or, do I need to rebuild my current petcock? Regardless, because of my very leaky bladder, I have been forced to ride a 2003 blackbird this summer and while it has plenty of cajones, it has none of the class.  

Please help.

• Member Contributer

Mite want to check out this recent thread which toward the end on the linked page goes through a similar, but it does not sound identical problem.   If it's only leaking you may be in luck if orings and bits can be sourced for a rebuild or otherwise an external filter could be rigged up as suggested in the thread. If, however you need a new petcock for the rrason you'll see discussed it's going to be tough. As you've discovered it's no longer available.  The owner was lucky enough to source a tank off ebay that had a good petcock.  You may need to rig up something custom. Have a read and see what you think. 

BTW,  no comment re: exes, but a photo of your current 1990 love interest is always welcomed! 

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/95638-rescuing-a-92-vfr750f/page/5/&tab=comments#comment-1129768

• Member Contributer

Yes, rebuilding is the now-best option.  But, it's pretty easy, if you have a drill press to drill out the rivets and a set of taps.  Finding the right o-rings could take a couple of tries, or you can buy a rebuild kit from NRP in the UK?  For that model, though, you can use just simple o-rings (rather than a large gasket with multiple smaller openings, like some other models have).  

I should mention that there are two different sources of potential leakage: the large o-ring between the petcock and the tank, and the smaller o-rings within the petcock itself.

Ciao,

JZH

Thank you, JZH and Cogswell, for the information.  I was really hoping that someone out there had stumbled onto a suitable, aftermarket replacement.   As mentioned in the earlier thread, it is odd that this particular petcock is so hard to come by.  I had no problem finding a replacement for a 1988 supermagna.  It appears that I will need to rebuild the current petcock.  With half the year being winter, I've got time. 

I will post a photo of Sally soon.

Thanks again.

AJO

• Member Contributer

You have nothing to loose by soaking the whole thing in a Wintergreen solution and see if that refreshes the seals, it did on mine

Archived