one cylinder not running

marco

Hi bike had a couple issues been to bike shop carbs off stripped all new jets  float valves balanced...now choke works now which it did,nt but only running on 3 cylinders front right bangs into life if choke pulled on but push choke off back to 3 cylinders?? ive tried 2 different plugs one new as others if i leave plug in and  a spare plug in lead it sparks good  as i know ive had a few shocks!! any iders? rode it home from shop went really well so maybe on the throttle fuel is getting to plug??blocked jet ??

• Member Contributer

The shop didn't do its job.  The work, the running evaluation, or the test ride.  Something is still blocked.  It can't be ignition if applying "choke" helps.

If it seems better/ok at quarter throttle or more, perhaps a slow speed circuit is still blocked.  I can count the number of people I trust to do a proper V4 clean on my bikes on one hand.  And the first 3 fingers are me, myself and I.

• Member Contributer

Not likely shop has +60yr old who actually knows how to refurbish carbs. Most likely they just sprayed some useless carb-cleaner through and didn’t bother to disassemble down to every last nut, bolt and individual component. Much less do any scrubbing, ultrasonic soaking or micro soda-blasting.

Send then to Gordon @ http://customcarbservices.com and bike will run like brand-new off showroom floor!

Think of carbs as garden-hose with sprayer at end. Most people focus on jets, jets, jets!!! Can clean that sprayer all you want, but what about the 20 golf balls stuck in hose along way? Doesn’t matter one bit how clean you get jets, if secret hidden passageways before & afterwards haven’t been restored to factory-fresh clean, bike won’t run.

i'm sure that guy is very good, but..........

i do carb cleaning/rebuilding too, charge less than that guy, and i just finished cleaning and fuel tube O-ring replacement on 2 gen 3 bikes................

12-1-17_176.JPG.855a0e6828772e377747193f47761e4d.thumb.JPG.0b45a0ba9ef46507bffc9b4e22ab9720.JPG

unless people are seriously OCD, they don't need their carbs totally stripped down to each nut and O-ring as very often only one or 2 small jets need cleaning and the bike will run fine.  i do alot of carb work, and most need very simple cleaning of idle jets and maybe new float needles, and that's all.

i could make more money if i insisted on a total a stripdown of every carb that came in, but i just do what's necessary (and a couple of preventative things) to get my riders going again as quickly and as economically as possible.

• Member Contributer

either way, marco you need a carb pro to do your carbs. There's NO ONE at that shop that can properly clean carbs! Don't give them 2nd chance to screw up your bike again! Send them to Gordon or squirrelman.

Archived